Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: via on-board network card not supported?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5

    via on-board network card not supported?

    I'm trying to boot Knoppix 3.1 (downloaded January 2003), I'm using VIA EPIA V800A, at booting it says:

    /lib/modules/2.4.19-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: init_module: No such device
    /lib/modules/2.4.19-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.19-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: insmod via-rhine failed

    Output from "lspci -v"

    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (ver 51)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 15
    I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
    Memory at eb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    Anyone managed to run it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Have you seen anything of interest in /var/log/syslog?

    Is that the entire output of lspci -v?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Have you seen anything of interest in /var/log/syslog?
    /var/log/syslog is empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Is that the entire output of lspci -v?
    Of course not. I haven't retype everything as I have no floppy in that machine and no lan, so I can't easily copy lspci output - I need to write it down from the screen.

    All other devices seem working and I've got no other messages.

    I've just downloaded and burned CD from KNOPPIX_V3.1-2003-01-20-EN.iso - same effect.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    OK well we don't want you to have to write it all down but perhaps you could copy it to a hard drive, boot into your other OS and post it that way? Barring that, the output of lspci -v that you did post obviously tells us that it was unable to load the driver for your card. I suspect an IRQ conflict.

    Do you see anything relevant in dmesg?

    /var/log/syslog shouldn't be empty- did you view it as root?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    perhaps you could copy it to a hard drive, boot into your other OS and post it that way?
    I'm doing it on a diskless machine: just VIA EPIA + CD - so it's not that easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Do you see anything relevant in dmesg?
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    /var/log/syslog shouldn't be empty- did you view it as root?
    Yes, I did. Otherwise I would not be able to read it. May be Knoppix save space on ramdisk by shrinking log files.

    I've just passed the machine to a Linux specialist who is familiar with Knoppix. I'll let you know if he solves the problem.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5
    We haven't managed to solve the problem. We returned VIA and took ECS mainboard: works like a charm.

    It could be a hardware problem because there was no network card in /proc/pci. A friend of mine is using the same version of Knoppix on the same model of VIA and network is working properly.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Solution for VT6102 is acpi=off or no apm in Knoppix at boot.

Similar Threads

  1. on board Via network card not working with knoppix
    By casterman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 12:36 AM
  2. "No supported Network Card Found"
    By rayesteq in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 04:47 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 04:01 AM
  4. PCI Sound Card on board detected but not working
    By Stephen Rees in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 06:40 PM
  5. 3C509 network-adapter not supported?
    By Hermanh in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



OWC Express 4M2 4x M.2 NVMe RAID Enclosure Aluminum w/ SoftRAID picture

OWC Express 4M2 4x M.2 NVMe RAID Enclosure Aluminum w/ SoftRAID

$199.00



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99