Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
Question=How do I unmount the hda1 from the cdrom?
I'm honestly not trying to frustrate you or get in your way. But I think that one of the reasons your questions isn't being answered as you ask it is that the way you ask it does not make sense. To my knowledge, there is nothing in knoppix that will "mount hd to cdrom". If you are determined to unmount any device, you can do it by right-clicking the icon and selecting "unmount", or alternatively, issuing the "umount" command (note the spelling with one "n") from the console. If it's a permission issue, you can execute a command as root by preceding it with "sudo" (e.g., "sudo umount /dev/cdrom"), you can set a root password by typing "sudo passwd" to allow root commands on the desktop, or you can type "su" in the console to make your whole console session as root, if that's what you really want to do. I'm betting that there's not one person in this entire forum who has any experience "unmounting a hd from the cdrom", so if no one is answering your question, that's probably why.

If you are going to issue the mount command from console, take a moment to learn the proper syntax, either by typing "man mount" or looking here . You mount an object to a mountpoint. So, to mount the cdrom, figure out the name of the device in question - is it cdrom, or scd0, hdc, or something else entirely? Assuming that it's "cdrom", the normal syntax to mount it (ignoring optional items) is "sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" (only root can mount in console). Personally, I would just click the desktop icon (making sure that I was clicking the right one, of course).

Sorry I can't be more precise in addressing your problem, but I'm flying blind. Not only can I not see your system, but I'm in Windows right now. What storage icons do you have on your desktop? Which ones will not mount with a left click?