-
Senior Member
registered user
Linux-Compatible Modem
I'm getting frustrated with the whole WinModem thing, and I'm thinking of buying a real external modem. What kinds are linux-compatible? Are they fairly cheap? I'm looking for something <$25
-
I bought an internal hardware modem a few years ago, so they do exist, but I had a hard time finding one.
Rule of thumb is that external serial port modems work, but watch out with USB ones as they are often winmodems.
Sorry, don't know about prices, but you should be able to find a used serial one almost anywhere.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Kowood,
I agree with your frustration, I dealt with it, a way back, and finally did the same deal... Buy an external...
My "old" system had the "motherboard" mounted modem, definately a WinModem...
I tried the USB external first, bad choice... Even though the packaging said nothing about it being a WinModem, it was... A quick return trip to the Computer Store to swap that USB for a STANDARD SERIEL MODEM, fixed the job...
I ended up with a nice, Fax / Data modem, using the nine pin seriel cable connection... My suggestion is to "look" at every detail on the box, read everything, make sure it doesn't have anything saying that it has "software" or "hardware" support needed through Windows... read: WinModem - if it needs Windows to work, then it has to be a WinModem. Seriel modems ( most ) are NOT WinModems.
If you opt for a USB modem, I find the "small" ones to be WinModems, they won't have that much "hardware", thus, the hardware comes from Windows. Advertisers don't say on the package any more if they are WinModems or not, so it can be a little tricky with a USB modem. If you do get a WinModem, you may be able to get support drivers for it, if it is a popular model / brand / manufacturer, but, I tend to think you will be doing a lot of "searching", if you want to go with a WinModem. Best bet, go with a nice seriel...
Just my two cents worth,
Ms. Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks, I've also found that at some sites that sell computer hardware, people will post reviews telling whether or not something works with Linux.
Similar Threads
-
By fordfasterr in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-06-2006, 08:25 AM
-
By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
-
By lilsirecho in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-10-2005, 09:31 PM
-
By pinoylinux in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 11:15 AM
-
By knopbill in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 01:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

HP ProLiant 460 Series G7 Blade 2x Xeon E5649 2.53Ghz w/ 16Gb DR3, No HD, QTY
$74.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

HPE P22139-B21 Synergy 480 Gen10 Plus Base Blade Chassis w/ P27543-001
$349.95

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60