Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Linux-Compatible Modem

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Linux-Compatible Modem

    I'm getting frustrated with the whole WinModem thing, and I'm thinking of buying a real external modem. What kinds are linux-compatible? Are they fairly cheap? I'm looking for something <$25

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I bought an internal hardware modem a few years ago, so they do exist, but I had a hard time finding one.
    Rule of thumb is that external serial port modems work, but watch out with USB ones as they are often winmodems.
    Sorry, don't know about prices, but you should be able to find a used serial one almost anywhere.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Kowood,

    I agree with your frustration, I dealt with it, a way back, and finally did the same deal... Buy an external...

    My "old" system had the "motherboard" mounted modem, definately a WinModem...

    I tried the USB external first, bad choice... Even though the packaging said nothing about it being a WinModem, it was... A quick return trip to the Computer Store to swap that USB for a STANDARD SERIEL MODEM, fixed the job...

    I ended up with a nice, Fax / Data modem, using the nine pin seriel cable connection... My suggestion is to "look" at every detail on the box, read everything, make sure it doesn't have anything saying that it has "software" or "hardware" support needed through Windows... read: WinModem - if it needs Windows to work, then it has to be a WinModem. Seriel modems ( most ) are NOT WinModems.

    If you opt for a USB modem, I find the "small" ones to be WinModems, they won't have that much "hardware", thus, the hardware comes from Windows. Advertisers don't say on the package any more if they are WinModems or not, so it can be a little tricky with a USB modem. If you do get a WinModem, you may be able to get support drivers for it, if it is a popular model / brand / manufacturer, but, I tend to think you will be doing a lot of "searching", if you want to go with a WinModem. Best bet, go with a nice seriel...

    Just my two cents worth,
    Ms. Cuddles

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Thanks, I've also found that at some sites that sell computer hardware, people will post reviews telling whether or not something works with Linux.

Similar Threads

  1. AMD 64... compatible or not?
    By fordfasterr in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 08:25 AM
  2. Autoconfig/sndconfig cant find compatible soundcard
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
  3. Re-master file formats compatible with cloop/mkisofs
    By lilsirecho in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 09:31 PM
  4. XPDE and knoppix, compatible?
    By pinoylinux in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 11:15 AM
  5. Linux (knoppix) Compatible Modems??
    By knopbill in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 01:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core i5-10505 CPU Processor 3.20GHz FCLGA1200 SRH38 Tested Working picture

Intel Core i5-10505 CPU Processor 3.20GHz FCLGA1200 SRH38 Tested Working

$89.99