Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Scrambled Screen - Compaq Presario 5300US Desktop

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4

    Scrambled Screen - Compaq Presario 5300US Desktop

    I'm a newbie and Ive been having problems with my screen being scrambled. The CD boots up only when I used the 'failsafe' cheat code. If I don't use 'failsafe', I get the following:

    Can't find KNOPPIX filesytem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press resume button to quit

    The 'failsafe' code allows the CD to boot up, however, the monitor is always scrambled. I've tried changing the monitor settings via 'knoppix vga=normal' and others such as 'screen=1280x1024', and these only change the size of my screen, but its still scrambled. I've also tried Cntl-Alt-+ and Cntl-Alt-- to try and change the screen size on the fly, but no luck there either. My graphics card is a 'Direct AGP 3D Graphics' I believe.

    Also, I think I'm using multiple cheat codes correctly, just putting a space between cheat codes, but sometime it seems to not recognize anything but 'failsafe', which I always put first.

    Does anyone have any suggestions to get me passed this problem? I'm desperately trying to save data on my desktop, where Windows XP won't boot-up due to a virus.

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    I've had similar problems on old compaqs. I had some luck with overclockix 3.2 and knoppic std, although I'm not sure these woill be of much help with recovering xp data.

    See if you can get kanotix http://kanotix.com/info/index.php and try some of the cheat codes on it. Also you might try a different monitor or pulling the hd out of the compaq and putting it in a newer machine to work on it.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4
    Thanks you all for your suggestions. I eventually ran into the following cheat-code combination that worked for me:

    Knoppix vga=normal screen=1024x768 vsync=60 nosmc nodma

Similar Threads

  1. compaq presario r3000
    By t0ast in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 06:27 PM
  2. Knoppix and Compaq Presario 2200
    By summer51 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 05:28 AM
  3. Compaq Presario B1011 and its cooler-fan
    By lufthans in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:56 AM
  4. PCMCIA and Compaq Presario 2175US
    By jwdavis2 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 03:54 AM
  5. Compaq Presario X100 Linmodem help !!
    By d3j452 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 04:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS116PP 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch UNTESTED  picture

NETGEAR GS116PP 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch UNTESTED

$40.99