Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: "KPPP Cannot find modem /dev/modem"

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    wsg,

    As the kanotx cd already has the drivers for your modem, I am wondering why you would still need to go looking for the. Just use Kanotix CD, It is basically the same as Knoppix, just with enhancements.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    44
    OK ! Very Good !

    Sorry, I had completely misunderstood your previous post...

    On my way to buy the Kanotix CD.

    I very much appreciate your kind, patient help on this.

    Thanks & Regards...

    (I'll be back to let you know how Kanotix works for me. )

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    wsg,

    A new version of Kanotix is on the horizon. It will include autodetection of your smartlink modem chipset. The current version requires some user intervention to get it started I will give you all the tips you need to know to get you started when the time comes. For now I'll tell you how to activate it.

    Enter in a terminal:-
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon start

    That command will load the driver and create a symlink pointing to that device node which is useful for using kppp the internet dialup tool.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    44
    Thanks for that information, kelmo, and for your very kind offer of continued help.

    With the current version, will I be able to "permanently" load the driver and create the symlink, so that it remains after shutdown/reboot?

    I should have the CD within a week.

    Regards...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    wsg,

    you can have the daemon autostart when you use the "save KANOTIX/KNOPPIX configuration" and modify the knoppix.sh script that is created. And then next time you boot:-

    knoppix myconf=scan

    As root, edit the script with a text editor and put:-

    /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon start

    at the end of the script and save.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    44
    kelmo,

    OK - I think I understand - will let you know...

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    44
    kelmo,

    I just checked the SanDisk Cruzer mini 256MB USB key which I first used with _KnoppixCD_V3.4. Here are the three relevant files [under /root/.E or /root/.D]:

    knoppix.sh shell script 462 B 8/25/04
    #!/bin/sh
    [ "`id -u`" = "0" ] || { echo "You need root privileges to modify the system!" >&2 ; exit 1; }
    [ -d "$1" ] && CONFIGS="$1/configs.tbz"
    [ -f "$CONFIGS" ] || CONFIGS="/cdrom/KNOPPIX/configs.tbz"
    [ -f "$CONFIGS" ] || CONFIGS="/mnt/floppy/configs.tbz"
    if [ -f "$CONFIGS" ]; then
    echo "Extracting config archive $CONFIGS..."
    tar -jpPtf "$CONFIGS" | while read i; do rm -f "$i"; done
    tar -jpPxf "$CONFIGS" ; chown -R knoppix.knoppix /home/knoppix
    fi

    ================================================== ============
    knoppix.img Plain Text 30.0 MB 8/30/04
    ================================================== ============
    configs.tbz Bzip2 file 35.4 KB 8/25/04
    Ark 'ERROR bzip only supports filenames with the extension ".bz"'
    [OK] -> Ark<2> "No files in current archive"
    (results using LinspireOS V4.0.471 CD)
    ================================================== ============
    Questions:

    Will they be useful, useless, or positively harmful when I use that same USB key when I get the Kanotix CD ?

    If not useful, must I/can I merely delete them and start over? (or, do you recommend that I use another key which has no knoppix files on it?)

    Thanks...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    Just delete them and start over

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    44
    Hello again, kelmo...

    Kanotix CD arrived Wednesday. I have set up the "knoppix persistent home" and the "save configuration". The files are on a (previously cleared) 256MB pen drive.

    But I need step-by-step HELP on how to get in the proper area of the boot process to choose 'english' , etc., then to enter "knoppix home=scan myconf=scan".

    Also, I have edited the knoppix.sh file. Is it correct?
    ================================================== =====================
    #!/bin/sh
    [ "`id -u`" = "0" ] || { echo "You need root privileges to modify the system!" >&2 ; exit 1; }
    [ -d "$1" ] && CONFIGS="$1/configs.tbz"
    [ -f "$CONFIGS" ] || CONFIGS="/cdrom/KNOPPIX/configs.tbz"
    [ -f "$CONFIGS" ] || CONFIGS="/mnt/floppy/configs.tbz"
    if [ -f "$CONFIGS" ]; then
    echo "Extracting config archive $CONFIGS..."
    tar -jpPtf "$CONFIGS" | while read i; do rm -f "$i"; done
    tar -jpPxf "$CONFIGS" ; chown -R knoppix.knoppix /home/knoppix
    fi
    /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon start
    ================================================== =====================

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    44
    Well...it's good that I had some time to try some more things on my own...

    I was able to get the modem working and am connected here now via kanotix.

    Got the boot process to pick 'english' and to acknowledge home & myconfig...but there's nothing added to home directory, and settings don't seem to be saved...

    Will be working at it some more...

    Regards!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 12:11 AM
  2. USR 56k PCI modem "busy"/"not found",rec
    By oman in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
  3. Dial-up Modem Issues. Keeps saying "Initializing Modem&
    By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
  4. "Missing" modem
    By Swifty in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2003, 06:31 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00