-
wsg
Your comments regarding Lindows support for your modem strikes a chord here...
I have a Frys Lindows machine and ithe modem works well under Lindows but did not
in Knoppix 3.4 or 3.7 as you now know there is no built int support... ie the SmartLink
driver that Lindows uses. I downloaded the SmartLink driver 2.9.10 from the SmartLink site follwoed the compile and install instructions in the readme and my modem works on both releases of Knoppix.
tk in Atlanta
-
Hello, GaTk...
Glad that you were able to get the SmartLink Driver installed and working.
As you may know from my posts here and on the Kanotix forum, my system is one with NO HardDrive...so I'm running from the LiveCD...and can't download a driver for installation on a HDD.
My "solution", suggested by kelmo, is to use the Kanotix LiveCD (whose 'parent' is Knoppix) which already has the appropriate drivers.
With kelmo's kind guidance, I was able to include the code in the knoppix.sh file, configure the modem, and get it working -- as well as saved across boots.
[EDIT]----Since that time, I got the NEWER version, Kanotix BH 08 2004. Since it already has the SmartLink Drivers MOUNTED, I didn't have to maintain that code myself.
IN ADDITION: ----[END OF EDIT]:
Since that time, I also bought a Zoom External Serial Modem Model 3049...And I can tell you that it's made dial-up MUCH MORE LIVEABLE for me!
Much FASTER and NONE of the frequent disconnects I was getting while using the SmartLink modem.
So, if you happen to have similar problems, I definitely recommend trying the Zoom (got it from Fry's).
Cheers!
-
Junior Member
registered user
modem woes
hell man just get an external modem .......... end of problems
-
Similar Threads
-
By artikid in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-14-2004, 12:11 AM
-
By oman in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
-
By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
-
By Swifty in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-06-2003, 06:31 AM
-
By FarAway in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00