-
Problems with installing 2.6.8-1 Debian Bin Kernel
Hello list
I've got a fairly old Knoppix 3.3 HD-Install with 2.4.22.xfs Kernel but kept the system up-to-date with Debian unstable.
Now I'm trying to set up the Debian binary Kernel 2.6.8-1 out of apt. Every time I start the system with the 2.6.8-1 Kernel, after the kernel was loaded (the screen with lots of dots), the screen gets blank and stays blank until I restart the PC. The system isn't loading at all (HD stays inactive). I've got no other information, what could have gone wrong.
Does anyone know, what I missed?
Cheers and thanks in advance
- Ylz
Attached: Section of lilo.conf
Code:
# booting with deb kernel 2.6.8-1
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-686
label=Lx.2-6-8-1
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-1-686
read-only
-
Senior Member
registered user
I haven't used lilo in ages. Try adding vga=0 and see if it boots then.
-
Senior Member
registered user
mzilikazi is right. The problem is binary kernels from debian come with frame buffer disabled. So you need to remove "vga=791" from your "append" line in lilo. Or use Kano's kernel, works flawlessly for me, and supports FB...
-
It does the same for me.
Has someone been able to run knoppix with a kernel get by ?
Code:
apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686
-
I did manage to use a debian kernel image with Knoppix 3.3 but as baldyeti said, it's easier with Kanos kernel. AFAIK Kanotix kernels don't work with Knoppix 3.4 though.
I messed around with kernel images last winter and IIRC I had to do something like:
cd /boot
mkinitrd -o linux-2.6.8.gz
And change the kernel line in lilo.conf to point to initrd=/boot/linux-2.6.8.gz
-
Hello:
At last I was able to boot into my 2.6.8-1-686 kernel, but I want to know if it is possible to enable framebuffer in this new kernel I have downloaded and installed.
Is it possible?
Thanks
-
Don't know if it's possible to enable something that's disabled in the kernel.
OTOH, if it's this much work to get a kernel image running you might as well compile one and have a smaller kernel as well.
Similar Threads
-
By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 09-19-2005, 09:55 PM
-
By quark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-14-2004, 07:21 PM
-
By Durand Hicks in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 10:45 PM
-
By gtgoku in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM
-
By brjhaverkamp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck
$99.99

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99

Vintage Apple Mac mini CIB (2009 Mod A1283) Original box/sealed manuals
$450.00

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS
$35.00

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **
$99.99

Macintosh MacTerminal M0521 Version 1.0. Vintage Apple software 1984 Sealed
$129.99

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$249.00

Vintage StuffIt Deluxe Mac Software Box SEALED NEW Macintosh Aladdin Systems
$40.00