-
NX server - anyone got it working?
Trying to get nxserver working, without much luck. I've tried "useradd" to add an account, ran "nxserver --adduser bourgon", and it gave me an error. If I ran it again it worked. Logged in and set the account password, and then did "nxserver --passwd bourgon". I then installed the client on a windows box and tried to connect. No dice. The closest I get is below. A dick-and-jane tutorial would be greatly appreciated.
I also tried running the NX Connection Wizard and Session Administrator but get told that it can't find the file /home/knoppix/.nx/config/nxclient.conf.
I originally had SSH turned on, on the client, but turned it off. Still no worky.
Anyhow, here's the message.
NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 1472
NX> 200 Connected to address: 10.81.3.7 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-01 OS (GPL)
NX> 105 Hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.3.2
NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
NX> 105 login
NX> 101 User: bourgon
NX> 102 Password:
NX> 103 Welcome to: Knoppix user: bourgon
NX> 105 startsession --session="test" --type="unix-kde" --cache="8M" --images="32M" --cookie="3c0a37896fcd5234060f39ad87773c31" --link="lan" --backingstore="never" --geometry="fullscreen" --keyboard="us" --kbtype="pc102/us" --media="0" --agent_server="" --agent_user="" --agent_password=""
NX> 204 Authentication failed.
NX> 105
-
Answering my own NX question
Okay, here's how to do a simple test.
1) Boot Knoppix
2) Knoppix->Services->Start NX Server
3) Start a shell session
4) su
5) nxserver --adduser knoppix
6) nxserver --passwd knoppix
7) change password to "test" or something.
Close shell session
9) Log in from NX client on another machine. Username "knoppix", password "test"
10) Enjoy.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I finally got everything working as described above, except that I had to configure the client for full screen mode. I prefer to work in 800x600 for remote sessions, so it is a minor annoyance. It just would NOT negotiate the session correctly at that resolution, but full screen is dandy. The speed is very similar to Windows Terminal Server on my 100 MB home LAN. I'm liking it...
~pau1
-
Odd...
That's odd, I could get it working in 800x600 on mine. (Windows Client)
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have the NXserver running on a Kanotix box 400Mhz w/128M and the NX client on a win2k box 400Mhz w/ 256M. The server is happy to export KDE but not xfce4. hmmf! We'll work on it.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yep. It's working here. And I must say it's VERY nice. Quite speedy and crisp over my LAN - just as if I were at the computer. I have not tested it over the internet yet.
I do have one problem though. The NX server and client both work fine when I'm using Knoppix disks. I grabbed the .deb that I mentioned here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12900 but all my fonts are gone when things are forwared over to the client. I mean I have no fonts on anything. Not in application menus or anything else. Ideas?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Okay, here's the current status for me... Using one of two linux clients I am only able to get a full screen session. With a Windows client I am able to get 800x600. Prolly just some tweaking on my end.
Aay, did you remaster using the debian packages noted on the link? I tried remastering KNX 3.4 5-17-04 (which has everything I need other than nxserver). I was able to install the .deb packages with no errors, but when I go to start the service and add users / change passwords using the syntax noted, the process just errors out (can't find config files, etc. wah! 
Perhaps this is just going to be suitable for the 3.6 release? Anyone else remastered this onto 3.4?
Thanks in advance,
~pau1
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
pau1knopp
Aay, did you remaster using the debian packages noted on the link? I tried remastering KNX 3.4 5-17-04 (which has everything I need other than nxserver). I was able to install the .deb packages with no errors, but when I go to start the service and add users / change passwords using the syntax noted, the process just errors out (can't find config files, etc. wah!
Perhaps this is just going to be suitable for the 3.6 release? Anyone else remastered this onto 3.4?
Thanks in advance,
~pau1
Well I solved my font problem by changing the fonts in the server machine in kcontrol.
As far as 3.6 goes, I'm sure you know now that both the client and the server are on 3.6.
-
Senior Member
registered user
yes, I know its on 3.6 and I LOVE it, but (for my purposes) there is so much missing (gaim needs updated, no vncserver) that I would much more prefer to just add this tweak to my 3.4 remaster. KNX 3.4v5-17-4 is pretty much a know stable environment for me. Still evaluating 3.6 before I remaster and go live with it.
Guess I'll just bite the bullet and start remastering 3.6 Course, when I do, usually they have a new maintenance release. ..
Yes, i'll have a little cheese with that 
~pau1
Similar Threads
-
By thewolf in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-09-2005, 10:25 AM
-
By phoenix07 in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
-
By cmcclean in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
-
By Tortoise in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM
-
By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99