Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: ADSL start/stop button

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    ADSL start/stop button

    Knoppix has an ADSL Config utility (actually, it's the standard Debian pppoeconf script). That's fine, it works great, but when it comes to actually starting and stopping your pppoe connection, I don't see any easy way to do it. The only way I've discovered to start/stop my connection is by going to the command line, su to root, and typing:

    pon dsl-provider / poff dsl-provider

    I cannot find any sort of ADSL start/stop menu or icon. I think this is badly needed. I'm pretty experienced with Linux, but newbies are going to be very put off by having to work on the command line, and especially needing to su to root everytime they want to connect/disconnect. I realize this is probably an issue that the Debian developers should address, but they haven't, and Knoppix is meant to be more intuitive than Debian.

    Or is there some easy trick that I just have not discovered? If there is, please tell me, and I'll apologize for my ignorance.

    regards,
    Robert

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    Thanks Shah, that's exactly what I was looking for. But it would also be nice if it could be included in the next Knoppix release.

    best regards,
    Robert

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    I only have to specify pon or poff - no dsl-provider parameter.
    But perhaps because of my self-made configuration.

    And additionally - I use pon in my startupscripts, which isn't very special, because often people connect immediately to the internet.
    So I only have to use poff to disconnect.

    Of course, the newbies like colored, half-transparent, animated button all over the place, so they're absolutely helpless when something doesn't work, what's what they're used to - from windows.

Similar Threads

  1. 2 button wheel mouse help
    By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 07:20 PM
  2. Need Help setting up 5 button mouse.
    By robwelch100 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 01:45 AM
  3. Evolution & Button Colors
    By pwoods in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 09:58 PM
  4. Mouse Left-button pb
    By joeguitar99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 09:40 AM
  5. default button style...
    By pooh_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 04:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$12.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01