Just writing to see if anyone has any advice. I've been working really hard on getting Knoppix to run on this laptop.
Knoppix 3.6 doesn't like booting from SCSI devices, so I did a "poor man's install" in order to be able to boot.
I finally got my hard drive partitioned for an install, and for some reason Knoppix will not install the LILO (we tried installing GRUB, too), although it appears to have installed the OS just fine. (Can't boot into it, so I can't be completely sure). I can't make a boot disk, as my laptop has no A:\ drive. I've been using the code:
dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/mnt/sda1/linux.bin bs=512 count=1
(hda2 is the boot partition, sda1 is a 128MB QuickiDrive)
then pasting the file linux.bin into C:\ and editing boot.ini to add:
C:\linux.bin="Knoppix 3.6"
but it doesn't boot...
I would really like to be able to at least run Knoppix without the CD to boot from, so I am trying to explore any options I can find. Advice is most welcome.
Ideas so far:
1. Maybe I haven't explored all the options for getting it to install or read the LILO (or GRUB). Keep trying different ideas.
2. Have a friend make a boot floppy of the Knoppix 3.6 CD and then take the first 512 characters of that and save as linux.bin. Paste the boot floppy info into the spot where I've been attempting to install the LILO, and use that linux.bin to boot Knoppix from Windows as I have been attempting.
It strikes me that with the second option, one of three things will happen:
1. I'll get really lucky, and it'll decide to boot the Knoppix 3.6 installed onto my hard drive. (I don't have much hope for that).
2. It'll work to boot the Knoppix files on my Windows partition that I use for the "poor man's install." I won't be able to update or install other parts into Knoppix, but I could set up a permanent directory and run it that way.
3. It won't like the fact that I don't have a floppy drive, and won't stop looking for one, resulting in another failure to boot Knoppix without the CD.
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Especially ideas on how to get Knoppix to actually install a boot file onto my laptop. All the bs=512 count=1 files it's made thus far have been full of "ööööööööööööööööööö," as opposed to the "Ū1ö1’üó„a’&B" type characters my friend (who installed on his HD) has.
Any thoughts at all are welcome on this. Life without Knoppix on your computer is sad indeed...![]()

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49
MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99