Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Commuter Parallel Port CD-ROM Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5

    Commuter Parallel Port CD-ROM Drive

    I have installed Knoppix (actually Damn Small Linux, a Knoppix variant, but I can't seem to register with the DSL forums so I'm posting here) on an old TI Extensa 450.

    My CD-ROM is a Commuter (Datastor) 8x, connected to the parallel port. I can manually load the required modules for it: parport, paride, dstr, and pg, then mount it with mount /dev/pcd0 /cdrom

    However, I can't get the modules to load automatically at boot time. I have added them to /etc/modules, but they still don't load. Does Knoppix ignore /etc/modules, or is there some other config file that I have to add them to in addition to /etc/modules?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5

    Got It.

    It figures that after I posted the above problem, I would find the solution (though had I not posted first, I would have been searching forever, as these things go).

    Anyway, the solution proved to be real simple. All I had to do was add the above insmod commands to the knoppix-autoconfig file, and the CD-ROM drivers loaded automatically. While I was at it, I also added the sshd command as well.

    Now to see if I can get the mouse working in text mode as well as find a speaker driver so I can play sound files without a sound card (like I have over on the DOS/WfW side of the house...)

Similar Threads

  1. Parallel Port always in use?
    By KeTZer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
  2. Parallel Port always in use?
    By KeTZer in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 03:18 PM
  3. Parallel Port ZIP100 not detected
    By charlwood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 08:22 PM
  4. Knoppix from a Parallel-port CD-ROM?
    By jdong in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 03:11 AM
  5. Printer and parallel port
    By tas in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B365M-PLUS LGA 1151 DDR4 8th/9th Gen Intel B365 Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B365M-PLUS LGA 1151 DDR4 8th/9th Gen Intel B365 Motherboard

$89.00