Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Getting CD/DVD and Floppy drives to work

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5

    Getting CD/DVD and Floppy drives to work

    I realise that this is probably not a Knoppix issue, but at the same time I am running Knoppix so I thought I'd try here for help

    I bought a laptop and a Knoppix distro, and had little trouble in overwriting the Chinese Windows it cam with and putting knoppix on the HDD.

    But I'm having a bit of trouble with it. Namely, CDs and Floppies are giving me grief.

    Firstly, the laptop is an ASUS S8600 (also known as the S86A).

    It came with an external DVD-ROM/CDR(W?) drive, and an external floppy drive that's USB.

    The DVD drive answers to /dev/sda. Now, how do I go about:

    * Configuring so that I can type mount (something) as any user and the drive is mounted at /cdrom. Additionally, can I get this done when a CD/DVD is inserted into the drive? On startup of the laptop?
    * I don't know what the floppy is answering to. How do I find out? Can it be configured to behave as for the DVD drive above?

    And lastly, I bought a USB cable (USB2.0 spec). What kind of linux software do I need for using it?

    Thanks for anyone's help in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Somewhere in this link:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12510

    I got my dvd drive to work. Had to create symlinks that point to the drive.

    Post this info

    ls -la /dev/sda*
    ls -la /dev/dvd

    May need to create the symlinks.

    dmesg in console and near the top should be info about the drive. The scsi# is needed because it is associated with the corresponding scd#.

    Check the last page of that thread. Got it to finally work.

Similar Threads

  1. USB Floppy on Tecra S1 will not work
    By rolelael in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2005, 12:36 PM
  2. CD-ROM drives won't work after HDD install
    By tabrown in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 12:46 PM
  3. Getting floppy automount to work
    By Halcyon-X12 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 12:39 AM
  4. I know nothing about how to get cd rom drives to work
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 07:33 AM
  5. cd drives do not work after doing hd install
    By IamPi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 10:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung Notebook 9 Pen Touchscreen 2-in-1 Motherboard NP930SBE-K01US picture

Samsung Notebook 9 Pen Touchscreen 2-in-1 Motherboard NP930SBE-K01US

$111.19



Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD picture

Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD

$200.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00