Well I need to unrar a archive on my desktop "MISC.rar". The location its at is "root/Desktop/MISC.rar" , but I'm not sure what to type in the console to unrar it. Please can someone help me?(I've already got the unrar application)
Well I need to unrar a archive on my desktop "MISC.rar". The location its at is "root/Desktop/MISC.rar" , but I'm not sure what to type in the console to unrar it. Please can someone help me?(I've already got the unrar application)
Try this:
unrar --help
That gives you a quick idea of how to use unrar. Basically it's like this:
unrar /path/to/file.rar
So....
unrar /root/Desktop/MISC.rar
realize that you cannot do much of anything in /root as user (that IS the home directory of the root user afterall!) so you'll need to move the file to somewhere you can write to or become root.
Everything "Failed" to unrar. I'm not sure what to doOriginally Posted by mzilikazi
, I've lost my windows 98 disk and I've heard that XP doesn't dual boot with linux
.
Did you try as root?Originally Posted by RisenDeMoN
BTW I presume you're doing this on a hard disc installation and not from live cd?Code:su <password> unrar /path/to/file.rar
Must've been a windows user that told you that (or maybe even Bill himself).I've heard that XP doesn't dual boot with linux.
It's just not true! Linux dual boots with pretty much anything. Have a look around the forums, there are many howtos for dual booting w/ xp.
Really? And Its acorse HD installed, though I really don't feel like reinstalling it(Just got alot of settings set, and everything is starting to feel "right").
EDIT#1: Again it failed. The rar file is kind of old, I'll download something new and see if that will work.
EDIT#2: I try clicking/opening the file and extracting it that way and I get this error when I try to extract(Drag file/Copy Here):
This happens with the newly downloaded file and the oldError - KDesktop
The file or folder tmp/kde-risendemon/arkuvHNJK//asdf/ asdf.map does not exist..
I suspect what you heard refers to the Windows bootloader. WinXP has the native ability to dual boot, but only with its older siblings - not linux. Linux relies upon external bootloaders, which are capable of booting anything, including Windows as mzilikazi said. The key is to let XP be the first installed, then install Linux.Originally Posted by mzilikazi
Still, be aware that the bootloader setup is probably the weakest link in the dual boot scheme - if something goes wrong in a dual boot situation, it will be the Windows master boot record getting hosed, and you won't be getting in to Windows. The current bunch of installers are pretty reliable, but having been through this before, I stick with a poor man's installation myself
jd
actually i use XP's boot manager to dualboot linux. works ok. some extra work but not impossible.
OErjan Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:44 pm
you could use the Win2000/NT/XP bootloader.
to do that I let the nt bootloader and lilo work together for me. works well.
quick sketch what i do, write LILO to a floppy, make a "image" of the floppy-mbr put that image in C:\ edit BOOT.INI mine looks like this.
a few more details.[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
C:\linux.ipl="LINUX"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
1) make lilo write to floppy, have this line in lilo.conf:
or give floppy as an argument to liloCode:boot=/dev/fd0
2) make a image of the floppy-mbr: and put it in C:\Code:lilo -b /dev/fd0
(this rexuires fat32 on the C disk)Code:dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/mnt/C/linux.ipl bs=512 count=1
OR you could put it on the floppy later. or a usbstick... and later use Win to copy it to c:\
3) Modifiy c:\boot.ini -- add a line with:
repeat 1) and 2) every time you run LILO.Code:C:\linux.ipl="Linux"
Microsoft ntldr now believes you have yet another windows installed. happy booting
oh btw, i have several linuxes booting from that same lilo.
But that's a different issue. Of course, you can direct LILO to the XP boot screen - that's the default procedure for any dual boot. But what I expect RisenDeMoN was referring to was that XP, by itself, cannot accommodate a dual boot of Linux, without reliance upon an external boot loader like LILO, even though it can natively dual boot XP with prior versions of Windows.
jd
So weve established that I can do a dual boot with XP. Alright, now back on topic. I've logged in as root and user, but still getting nowhere.
Did you try what mzilikazi suggested?
Type file MISC.rar in a shell to see what kind of filetype it is.

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00
Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99
Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch
$749.99
nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00
Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver
$79.89