Try change your /dev permission.
I have an onboard soundcard that is AC97 and I've been having problems with it. For like the first 10-15 minutes, all of the sounds work just fine, but after that, sound just stops for some odd reason. The only things that I've found that works are Console beeps and my Line in. Yes, the volume is up, and yes, I've tried the /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig, but that didn't work either.
Also, an error that I get when trying to play sounds with xmms and some other things is:
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Device or resource busy)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
here is the output of lsmod:
Module Size Used by Not tainted
uart401 6052 0
ad1848 20812 0
sound 55244 0 [uart401 ad1848]
snd-page-alloc 5584 0 (autoclean)
snd-seq 39536 0 (autoclean)
snd-timer 15044 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq]
snd-seq-device 3700 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq]
snd 29988 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device]
parport_pc 24840 1 (autoclean)
lp 7460 0 (autoclean)
parport 22496 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
i830 69408 14
agpgart 42660 11
autofs4 8756 1
af_packet 13544 0
nls_iso8859-1 2844 0 (unused)
nls_cp437 4348 0 (unused)
i810_audio 25208 2
ac97_codec 11884 0 [i810_audio]
soundcore 3428 4 [sound snd i810_audio]
8139too 13704 1
mii 2240 0 [8139too]
crc32 2816 0 [8139too]
serial 52068 0 (unused)
usb-storage 61952 0 (unused)
ataraid 6404 0 (unused)
ieee1394 183300 0
usb-uhci 21836 0 (unused)
usbcore 57824 1 [usb-storage usb-uhci]
pcmcia_core 39840 0
thermal 6532 0 (unused)
processor 8976 0 [thermal]
fan 1568 0 (unused)
button 2508 0 (unused)
battery 5888 0 (unused)
asus_acpi 8748 0 (unused)
ac 1792 0 (unused)
ide-cd 28704 0
ide-scsi 9040 0
rtc 7004 0 (autoclean)
ext3 64452 2 (autoclean)
jbd 46516 2 (autoclean) [ext3]
If you need any other info, I'll be willing to give it.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Try change your /dev permission.
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Could you tell me how please? Thanks.
Open System-->More application--->File manager su mode.
Konquerer will open, go to settings--->load view profile-->file mangement.
Go to root folder -->dev.
Right click on folder dev--->properties--->go to permission tab--->advanced permission--->tick on all write entries-->save.
If you rather use commandline, read this: http://www.cae.wisc.edu/fsg/linux/li...rmissions.html
![]()
Well, it works right now, but I just restarted.. So I'll get back to you in the morning on it's status. Hopefully it works.
:EDIT: It's morning and it's still working.. this is much longer than it normally works. Thanks!
Well, the sound works and I thank you for that, but...
I've found that more than one program can't play sounds at once. Example: I'm currently listening to a radio station through xmms, but I don't hear a sound at all when I receive a message through Gaim.. even if I pause xmms, but if I completely stop play in xmms, I can hear Gaim sounds, but then I have to close xmms and Gaim to start playing things in xmms again.
Anyone have any idea why this could be or is it just like that?
Ok.. sounds have completely stopped again. Someone help please?

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00
Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
50x RAM Box Tray DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 ESD DIMM Memory Shipping Storage Transport
$9.99
MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$159.99
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00
16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980
$39.99
Team Group Team Elite DDR3-1600 DIMM 16GB (2x8GB) 240-Pin Desktop RAM
$35.00