Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Minimum package list for KNOPPIX?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70

    Minimum package list for KNOPPIX?

    I am working with the latest KNOPPIX 3.6-2004-08-16.

    I have a basic remastering setup where I can get the KNOPPIX filesystem into a remaster directory, chroot the remaster and alter the packages, compress the remaster to a bootable partition, boot the remaster from harddrive for testing, create the iso, and write it to CDR. The CDR behaves the same as the HD test boot.

    I am trying to get the remaster down to only the packages necessary to hardware detect a large number of different computers and have only the basic configuration tools installed. From there I will add a small number of application packages. I like KNOPPIX because it has module drivers for all the different video and network cards that I need it to run on.

    I have been having some problems during removal of packages. I want to remove all packages except those necessary to boot and run as described above. I remove the largest packages and get the size down to 400meg. I remove KDE and the size is around 250meg (I think). I remove optional, development, and doc stuff. Somewhere in there I removed something important to the basic boot process and when I compress a test version it's broken.

    I have considered some of the other customizations but the ones I tried didn't have the latest modules and drivers for the latest HW.

    So, how does anyone know what the minimum package list is for each KNOPPIX version? I ask this because when the next version of KNOPPIX is released I expect the package list could be slightly different and I won't be able to use my current current package list (assuming I can ever figure that out).

    Thanks all,

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    you can try to use dsl (damnsmall), 52mo and good HW detection....

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    I did. I doesn't run on my laptop. The network interface isn't there for one of my computers. Generally I've found that knoppix always has the latest s/w releases. I guess that is why all the others are based on knoppix. So, I'm looking for ease of managing reduction of new knoppix releases by learning what the minimum package and s/w list is so I can always 'make' against the latest.

    I've though about using DSL to get it's package list and using that against my V3.6. I don't know it the effort will be worth it.

Similar Threads

  1. Package size list on Knoppix 4.0 DVD "Maxi" Editio
    By jacksonon in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 03:31 PM
  2. knoppix sources.list repository incomplete list.
    By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
  3. minimum Knoppix
    By Gromit in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2004, 11:31 PM
  4. Minimum Package Requirements
    By Dacicus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 08:58 AM
  5. Package list Required?
    By bhavin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 02:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB  G3D picture

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D

$142.50