-
KNOPPIX base iso released when full iso released
I appriciate that support for customized and remastered KNOPPIX exists. I am amazed to be able to alter this distribution to make it suitable for other environments. My only problem is how difficult it is to figure out what packages can be removed and what has to remain to keep base functionality.
The remasters like morphix, dsl, and others tend to be out of date from the latest KNOPPIX release. So far I have found only KNOPPIX 3.6 will drive a Dell D600 because of its network card. Also, the other remasters package lists seem to not mention all the packages or maybe there were different packages for the release of KNOPPIX they are based on compared to the release of KNOPPIX I have been trying to work with.
I was thinking how much benefit there would be if when a new release of [full] KNOPPIX was made available, there was also released an iso of the base packages of that version. Only the packages that make the iso KNOPPIX. No paint, desktop, graphic, or anything else. Only the boot, kernel, modules, shell, package configuration utilities (and the part I apperently don't know about but keep losing and breaking my remaster).
Then, existing customizations could update their versions more regularly by just adding their package lists to the base. Next version of KNOPPIX comes out, slap the packages on and go to town. New customizers have a well defined starting point to create from. The whole usability factor of KNOPPIX derivitives and their creation and maintainence goes up. And, it would get me out of the hole I've created for myself where I seem to have become expert at breaking KNOPPIX in new ways on a daily basis.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 156
Last Post: 04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
-
By anton123 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-09-2004, 07:13 AM
-
By charlesfan in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-03-2004, 07:02 AM
-
Replies: 9
Last Post: 03-24-2003, 12:52 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-21-2003, 02:35 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

USB Mini Vacuum Cleaner FD-368 Computer Keyboard Laptop Dust Cleaner LED New
$12.99

Vaquform DT2 - Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine
$800.00

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67