Become root;
su
<give it the password>
netcardconfig
Then do a:
sndconfig
Just tried Knoppix for the first time. I think its great.
Only problem was that it didnt correctly detect my sound or network cards. As I am completely new to Linux I havn't a clue what to do next. I have successfully duel booted the same computer with Windows 2K and Red Hat (no problems with the sound or network cards)
The network card is a Realtek RTL 8139(A) PCI (SMC1233TX) fast ethernet adapter, and the sound card a Creative SB Audio PCI (Esoniq ES5880 Audi chipset).
Any help would be greatfully received.
Become root;
su
<give it the password>
netcardconfig
Then do a:
sndconfig
When tried using "netcardconfig" i got "No Supported Network Cards Found".
However, I've discovered the cause of the problem. Knoppix does not like it when your devices share IRQ 9 as mine did. When I reassigned the network and sound cards to IRQ 5 and 7 in the BIOS, it all worked fine.![]()
Very true- Linux hates IRQ conflicts and they seem to be fairly common. Glad you got it solved. BTW- the options vary from BIOS to BIOS but there is generally a way to disable the automatic assigning of IRQ's and 'hard assign' them as necessary. Glad you got it fixed jonwoodOriginally Posted by jonwood
Reassigning IRQ's didn't solve the EXACT SAME problem I am having. After a Root Shell Config command, I am not getting any recognition of either my sound card or the network card. The network card is integrated into my ASUS A7V8X board (a Broadcom 4401 chip) and am hoping that it will be supported with the 3.2 version. I am holding off on that until the language problem is cleared up!

Kensington Desktop Vac Computer Peripheral Vacuum w/ Brush Attachments & Cord
$15.00
KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...
$64.99
LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$167.63
2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99
Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89
Filament Vacuum Storage Kit with USB Pump, 20 Pack Light-Proof Vacuum Sealed
$42.19
ZUZELT X211 Compressed Air Duster and Mini Vacuum
$133.99
Cordless Electric Mini Air Duster Blower Vacuum Cleaner for PC Computer Car Home
$16.99
Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99
95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US
$21.98