Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: hangs during boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4

    hangs during boot

    Well, I just found out about this distro the other and it seems to be nice. I'm having a small probelm though. I have tried countless time to boot it up. But, everytime it hangs after the autodetection of my hardware. I have tried numerous combinations of cheat codes ( everything from no cheat code to failsafe ). I have downloaded this twice now. And, I really want to play with this. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25

    Hardware e.g. RAM?

    How much RAM do you have in your machine?

    What is your CPU type?

    Any peculiar devices eg. wireless pcmcia?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    I have a P3 1gig with 640mb ram, on an Asus TUV4X mobo. I also have a ATI Radeon 64 ( a.k.a. 7200 ) video card, a Hercules GTXP sound card, and a realtek nic ( don't remember which brand ). I have two hard drives, one is a WD 80 gig special edition, and the other is an old Maxtor 12 gig drive. APM and PnP are disabled in the BIOS, even though APM is still detected. I have tried the nodma and noapm cheats, and neither one makes a difference. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    And it doesn't even boot with failsafe?

    What about knoppix 2?

    And what happens when you run expert?

    By the way the new Knoppix has been released, and there should be a lot of bugfixes - so..

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    Well, I just got down downloading 3.2 and it's still doing the same thing. Right after the autoconfiguring devices it sits theres. I have let it sit for about 20mins before I finally gave up. When I try knoppix 2 or failsafe it hangs at the same spot.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    So it tells you:
    • Mouse is ...
      Soundcard ...
      Monitor is ...
      Using Modes ...

    And then stops or does it continue with:
    • Scanning for Harddisk partition ... and creating /etc/fstab. . . Done

    Or does it even tell you:
    • Network device eth0 detected ...


    First make sure that it autodetects your video card correct - it should be using the 'radeon' driver.

    If it doesn't detect your harddisk partitions try using the 'knoppix noscsi' option since KNOPPIX default sets all ide to scsi. (but you've already done that, right?)

    If it detects your network dev, and then hangs, try disconnect the device from the network.

    If the above doesn't help, then please tell the last statement the system gives before locking up.

    Good luck

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    Oh if only I got that far into it. After the boot prompt, I get the messages about accessing the cd-rom, and setting the ramdisk. After that I get all the CPU/APM/USB info. Then it goes into the autoconfiguring of the decives. I get the done message from that, and then the cursor disappears, and it just sits there and that is as far as I get. The noscsi option didn't make any difference. Thanks.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    Does your CD-rom make odd sounds when it starts? if so try using a other device if you can find one. But before doing so start by trying the 'knoppix testcd' bootoption. I don't know how you have burned the iso-file, but I could imgaine that using a Windoze could cause problems

    Besides have you ever checked the RAM with eg. memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) I read that they should have a bootable CD-image.

    Finally your 640 MB RAM - if anything else fail I would try booting with only one RAM block, or two similar blocks.

    Good luck

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bieren
    Oh if only I got that far into it. After the boot prompt, I get the messages about accessing the cd-rom, and setting the ramdisk. After that I get all the CPU/APM/USB info. Then it goes into the autoconfiguring of the decives. I get the done message from that, and then the cursor disappears, and it just sits there and that is as far as I get. The noscsi option didn't make any difference. Thanks.
    I have the same problem. Gets to autoconfiguring and says done then does nothing else.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Arlesey, UK
    Posts
    4
    I just tried the latest 3.2 as it's been a while since I tried using Linux and wanted to see where it's at.

    I've got an Asus A7N266-VM MB with a Duron 1200 and 512MB. It seemed to detect all my hardware, but when it displayed the eye splash screen and displayed the icons showing the progress it froze on the one where it's detecting/configuring peripherals or something like that. Tried it twice.

    The real downer is that when I took the CD out and tried to boot Windows 2000 I got stuck in a reboot loop.

    Would Knoppix have written to the hard drive? All my partitions are NTFS.

    I ended up re-installing Windows. Not happy

    I've got plans to move to Linux one of these days, but this was not a good experience.

    --
    Steve

Similar Threads

  1. Boot hangs just before Penguin display...
    By a1an_g in forum Laptops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 08:00 PM
  2. HP zv5000t...3.6 hangs on boot...
    By milkmood in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 07:38 PM
  3. knoppix hangs by boot.
    By Athalon1951 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 09:23 PM
  4. Notebook hangs during boot
    By MChrist in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 12:28 PM
  5. Knoppix boot from CD gives error and hangs...
    By StuPC in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-13-2003, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Indus GT G.T. for Atari External Floppy Disk Drive w/ Case & Power Adapter picture

Indus GT G.T. for Atari External Floppy Disk Drive w/ Case & Power Adapter

$199.00



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari 410 Program Recorder Cassette Tape Drive for Atari 400/800 Computers picture

Atari 410 Program Recorder Cassette Tape Drive for Atari 400/800 Computers

$150.00



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS picture

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS

$120.00