Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Where do I locate new programs

  1. #1

    Where do I locate new programs

    Let me start by saying that I'm very new at this...This is my first shot at linux so I guess you could say I'm a noob...I just did a HD install of Knoppix and it is the only operating system on the dirve...I just downloaded Firefox and installed it and my question is after I install it how do I find it to use it again...I know in Windows I there would be an icon on the desktop but is there an equivalent to this for linux...I'd appreciate anyones help on this one and if there's a FAQ could someone point me to it

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Where do I locate new programs

    Quote Originally Posted by teddyballgame20
    Let me start by saying that I'm very new at this...This is my first shot at linux so I guess you could say I'm a noob...I just did a HD install of Knoppix and it is the only operating system on the dirve...I just downloaded Firefox and installed it and my question is after I install it how do I find it to use it again...I know in Windows I there would be an icon on the desktop but is there an equivalent to this for linux...I'd appreciate anyones help on this one and if there's a FAQ could someone point me to it
    Depends on how you installed it.

    If you used apt-get (Or kpackage) then it should be on the menu in its equivilent folder.

    BTW knoppix is based on the unstable Cid, you will run into problems while trying to install programs.

    Mabye you would like sarge (tesing, about to be stable) or woody (stable).

    If so, go here http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dist...mages/netboot/ and download mini.iso, burn it, reboot.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Where do I locate new programs

    Quote Originally Posted by teddyballgame20
    Let me start by saying that I'm very new at this...This is my first shot at linux so I guess you could say I'm a noob...I just did a HD install of Knoppix and it is the only operating system on the dirve...I just downloaded Firefox and installed it and my question is after I install it how do I find it to use it again...I know in Windows I there would be an icon on the desktop but is there an equivalent to this for linux...I'd appreciate anyones help on this one and if there's a FAQ could someone point me to it
    If you downloaded the tarball then presumably you stored it in your /home/username directory. SO...you probably have a firefox-installer directory and inside there is the executable called 'firefox'.

    If you issue:

    /home/username/firefox-installer/firefox

    that should launch firefox. You should be able to drag and drop a shortcut onto the desktop if you open that directory w/ Konqueror.

  4. #4

    Debian

    hey firebyrd10 I downloaded mini.iso burned it and rebooted and now when I boot up and login all i get is a prompt...where is the GUI for what I installed??? What else do I need to do to get this working?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Debian

    Quote Originally Posted by teddyballgame20
    hey firebyrd10 I downloaded mini.iso burned it and rebooted and now when I boot up and login all i get is a prompt...where is the GUI for what I installed??? What else do I need to do to get this working?
    That mini.iso was for if you wanted to install sarge or woody, if you don't then try following mzilikazi's instructions.

    If you do want to install sarge/woody just hit enter at the prompt.

  6. #6

    sarge/woody

    I apologize if I'm bugging you but I installed whatever I burned from that mini.iso and now when I boot up I can log in then it goes to a prompt that says this:

    brian@debian:`$

    I don't know what to do at this point...Again I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm stuck right now

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: sarge/woody

    Quote Originally Posted by teddyballgame20
    I apologize if I'm bugging you but I installed whatever I burned from that mini.iso and now when I boot up I can log in then it goes to a prompt that says this:

    brian@debian:`$

    I don't know what to do at this point...Again I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm stuck right now
    Did it lead you through an install?

    You should have been able to pick if you want a desktop enviroment.

    (I assume that you want a more stable version if you did this.)

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to locate RSDP - HeELP
    By babelbrennt in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2005, 09:38 AM
  2. modprobe: can't locate module xfs
    By muddled_rosella in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 06:05 AM
  3. can't locate modem
    By Max_Var in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 02:01 PM
  4. can't locate module char - major - 188
    By bluejay in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 11:02 PM
  5. Can't locate module server: XF86_SVGA
    By hammy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 02:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98