Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can I repair my USB thumb drive with Knoppix?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    32

    Can I repair my USB thumb drive with Knoppix?

    Not sure if this is even the right section of the forum for this question. I have a Kinston USB thumb drive that I can no longer read or format. Is there a tool in Knoppix that will help me to repair this drive?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    What does
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    tell you?

    Your USB stick is *probably* /dev/sda so maybe try this:
    Code:
    mkdosfs /dev/sda1

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    23
    If you go into Qtparted it should find the drive I believe but im not sure and in there you may beable to reformat it

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    what few seem to realie is that flashdisk "wear" that is each time it is read/written to it wears some.
    they only guarantee 10 000 read/writes on the cheaper ones.
    that is if you put/get a file from/to your stick you write that information to the file allocation table/s (fat) when these have been written/read enough times the rest of memory is not accessible as the filesystem does not know where they are located anymore

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    32
    After booting to Knoppix, ran qtparted it asked me to create a new partition table on the drive. I was then able to create a filesystem and format. Both linux and windows recognize it and it shows no errors.

    Thanks to all who helped!!

Similar Threads

  1. Install Knoppix on USB thumb drive
    By wildscribe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 01:52 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 10:52 AM
  3. booting knoppix 3.6 from usb thumb drive
    By jbreiden in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 01:02 AM
  4. Suggestions for USB thumb drive for knoppix/linux use
    By freeballer in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 05:37 PM
  5. What about USB thumb drive
    By Jim Shoe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 02:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$345.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$295.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested picture

​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested

$119.99



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



Computer Retrospective DDP-116 SEAC UNIVAC DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Cray-1 CDC 6600 picture

Computer Retrospective DDP-116 SEAC UNIVAC DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Cray-1 CDC 6600

$65.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00