-
Junior Member
registered user
Unmounting Knoppix CD with TORAM
In my Toshiba Notebook I have only one CD Writer
And I have no Hard disk. The disk controller having crashed. Is there any way of using Knoppix so that after starting Knoppix, I can umount the CD and then play music CDs or Video CDs? I have lots of RAM i.e. 256 MB
I tried Toram option. But it doesn't let me eject CD.
Secondly is there any way to login as Root under KDE. I am having problems accessing data from my Jetflas Stick, if I am not root.
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Unmounting Knoppix CD with TORAM

Originally Posted by
drmarathe
In my Toshiba Notebook I have only one CD Writer

And I have no Hard disk. The disk controller having crashed. Is there any way of using Knoppix so that after starting Knoppix, I can umount the CD and then play music CDs or Video CDs? I have lots of RAM i.e. 256 MB
I tried Toram option. But it doesn't let me eject CD.
You would need 1G of system RAM to use the toram cheatcode. A 500MB .iso would only require 768M of RAM. Perhaps a smaller .iso would even boot toram w/ less system RAM. I have heard of other distros that allow you to eject the cd after boot but do not recall what they are.
Secondly is there any way to login as Root under KDE. I am having problems accessing data from my Jetflas Stick, if I am not root.
Thanks
Simply open a terminal and issue su and you are root. Then you can launch anything you like as root. To launch Konqueror: konqueror &
Another option would be:
init 3
startx
That *should* start an entire X session as root. I do not have a Knoppix disc handy at this moment to confirm and I am not overly familiar with KDE so perhaps it may not work this way.
Although this is generally considered a bad idea (running X as root or logging in as root) I do understand that your disc controller is not functional so in your case I suppose that no harm can really be done to your laptop. Be careful if you are on a network!
Similar Threads
-
By Sephiroth in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
-
By LinuxCrusader in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-26-2005, 08:29 PM
-
By lilsirecho in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-04-2004, 12:52 AM
-
By simple in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-18-2003, 08:21 PM
-
By dragonx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-09-2003, 06:25 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$248.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

SonicWall TZ470 Network Security/Firewall Appliance (02-ssc-2829) (02ssc2829)
$100.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99

Sophos SG 115 rev.3 Firewall Security Appliance SG1153BAEUS + OPNsense
$85.00

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99