Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Floppy drive problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4

    Floppy drive problem

    Hello everybody.

    I'm trying to mount my floppy drive. When I su to root, I can access all the files on it just fine, but when I do it as any user, I get a permission denied error. I tried chmod'ing the directory, but it didn't help.

    Your help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Type groups as user to check if you're in the floppy group, if not: adduser benw floppy , logout&login again for the change to take effect.
    Your /floppy should look like:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root floppy 4096 Dec 11 2003 floppy
    If not:
    chmod 755 /floppy
    chgrp floppy /floppy

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the reply.

    Okay, I did the adduser, it was successful, then I did the chmod and chgroup, they were successful, but /floppy still appears as:

    drwxr--r-- 2 root root 7168 Dec 31 1969 floppy

    I logged out and back in but still get:

    bash: cd: /floppy: Permission denied

    The floppy in the drive is good and it can be read perfectly by root.

    Any ideas?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If it's mounted by root it could look like you posted. Does /floppy look the same after you have unmounted it?
    This is the line in fstab I have for it: /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,users,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0

Similar Threads

  1. Floppy Drive problem! eek!
    By ThundaOne in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 06:00 PM
  2. im having a problem getting my floppy drive to work
    By Ghetto2k4 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 02:00 AM
  3. USB Floppy Drive...
    By Minnie000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 05:03 PM
  4. i don't have a floppy drive.
    By talz13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 01:18 AM
  5. floppy drive
    By icu in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Lot of 4 - Kingston 1GB PC2-5300F DDR2 667MHz ECC Server RAM KVR667D2S8F5/1G picture

Lot of 4 - Kingston 1GB PC2-5300F DDR2 667MHz ECC Server RAM KVR667D2S8F5/1G

$59.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Lot of 14 - 16GB DDR4 Memory PC4-3200 SODIMM Laptop RAM 3200MHz  (MIX BRAND) picture

Lot of 14 - 16GB DDR4 Memory PC4-3200 SODIMM Laptop RAM 3200MHz (MIX BRAND)

$900.00



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50