Time to invest in a USB key, I'd say ;-)
Is there a way to boot Knoppix from a CD-RW drive and then burn another CD from the same drive? I have a laptop with only one CD drive, no floppy, and only NTFS partitions, so I'm looking for a way to save data while using Knoppix.
Thanks,
David
Time to invest in a USB key, I'd say ;-)
I read that MandrakeMove allows people to eject the bootable CD and play multimedia CDs. Might a similar mechanism be possible to burn CDs from the same drive that booted Knoppix?
DVD,
I don't think you can do it with Knoppix - at least without doing a HD Install.
Problem is, and I had this problem, when you boot the CD, it locks the tray of the CD - that way it can't be removed out from under the "expected" location the OS thinks. (btw - this also is what happens when you install Windoze from the CD, during the install, it locks the drive tray, as well)
You can either install to HD, install another CD-ROM drive, or, use the Poor-Mans install - which from what I hear, you create the CD-ROM image on your hard drive and boot from a floppy disk to point to the hard drive - of any of these three options, any one of them will allow the CD-RW to be used for other purposes.
I went with the HD Install, even though I was using my DVD device to boot, and had my CD-RW unused.
...yes!...if you have enough ram...more than 700mbOriginally Posted by dvd
use cheatcode toram to load the whole knoppix CD into ram
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ighlight=toram
You probably need even more since that only covers the image of the compressed filesystem. I guess you could ease the memory requirements by using some remaster from which all the heavy stuff like openoffice etc have been ripped out.Originally Posted by oscar
Wow, the whole thing to RAM? Interesting idea. So there's no way yet to implement something similar to MandrakeMove's CD eject, but for CD burning in Knoppix?
-David
Sure you can! All you have to do is open a console and type:
sudo bash -
umount /mnt/cdrom
eject cdrom
voila, pop in the new disk, if its audio, dont mount it, if its a data disk do:
cd /mnt/cdrom
done.
Your suggestions doesn't work for me. Does it work for anyone else, or are there other ways to do it?
Not a good idea, the entire OS is on the Disk, you remove it and you can't do anything.Originally Posted by merauder
Try repartitoning the NTFS drives and creat a fat partiton, (qtparted can safely resize NTFS)
Then when booting, type knoppix tohd=/dev/hda2(its probably 2, change it if needed)
Wait till its done coping, then remove the cd and boot as usual.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$305.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$95.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00