Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Booting with a PCMCIA CDROM

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    TheIowan
    Guest

    Booting with a PCMCIA CDROM

    I have a PCMCIA CD/RW drive on one of these lightweight laptops. There is no floppy drive.

    It boots the kernel just fine, but it cannot mount the CDROM. I think I need the ide_cs kernel module, but it does not seem to exist anywhere I can get at it. And since there is no floppy drive, I cannot load it that way.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to boot where it can mount the PCMCIA CD/RW drive?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Booting with a PCMCIA CDROM

    You might try using ide2=0x180,0x386 as the first boot parameter. This worked for my Sony VAIO laptop.

    I found this here: http://www.mobilix.org/Mobile-Guide....ia-device.html

  3. #3
    TheIowan
    Guest

    Re: Booting with a PCMCIA CDROM

    Thanks so much for the suggestion. It still doesn't work, though, unfortunately.

    Oddly enough, Mandrake 9 will find the CDROM after loading the ide-cs module (and supporting modules). I rebuilt the initrd filesystem and added those modules (pcmcia_core, yenta_socket, ds, ide-cs), but it still doesn't work. I suppose I could spend a lot of time figuring out how Mandrake is booting, and then re-build the Knoppix kernel and boot method, but it's a bit beyond me and I am out of time and am giving up on this for now.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7
    Hi,

    I had the same problem booting from a PCMCIA cdrom.
    So I modified the Knoppix bootdisk.
    It works for me so it might also work for you.
    Give it a try.
    The floppy images can be downloaded from:

    http://www.luell.com/download/knoppi...ootdisk.img.gz
    http://www.luell.com/download/knoppi...modules.img.gz

    Hope that helps.

    Bye
    Jochen

Similar Threads

  1. Boot problems with Toshiba CDROM-PCMCIA
    By Marcus658 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-25-2006, 02:53 AM
  2. booting with a usb-cdrom
    By stillspiraling in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 10:15 AM
  3. disketteless + a pcmcia cdrom installation
    By vx_imran in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 05:49 AM
  4. pcmcia cdrom and no floppy installation
    By vx_imran in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 09:47 AM
  5. Once again: PCMCIA-CDROM
    By kea in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Intel Core i9-13900K Processor (5.8 GHz, 24 Cores, LGA 1700) picture

Intel Core i9-13900K Processor (5.8 GHz, 24 Cores, LGA 1700)

$320.00



COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4 picture

COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4

$169.95



Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151

$39.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU picture

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU

$39.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4 picture

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4

$229.95