Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Booting with a PCMCIA CDROM

  1. #1
    TheIowan
    Guest

    Booting with a PCMCIA CDROM

    I have a PCMCIA CD/RW drive on one of these lightweight laptops. There is no floppy drive.

    It boots the kernel just fine, but it cannot mount the CDROM. I think I need the ide_cs kernel module, but it does not seem to exist anywhere I can get at it. And since there is no floppy drive, I cannot load it that way.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to boot where it can mount the PCMCIA CD/RW drive?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Booting with a PCMCIA CDROM

    You might try using ide2=0x180,0x386 as the first boot parameter. This worked for my Sony VAIO laptop.

    I found this here: http://www.mobilix.org/Mobile-Guide....ia-device.html

  3. #3
    TheIowan
    Guest

    Re: Booting with a PCMCIA CDROM

    Thanks so much for the suggestion. It still doesn't work, though, unfortunately.

    Oddly enough, Mandrake 9 will find the CDROM after loading the ide-cs module (and supporting modules). I rebuilt the initrd filesystem and added those modules (pcmcia_core, yenta_socket, ds, ide-cs), but it still doesn't work. I suppose I could spend a lot of time figuring out how Mandrake is booting, and then re-build the Knoppix kernel and boot method, but it's a bit beyond me and I am out of time and am giving up on this for now.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7
    Hi,

    I had the same problem booting from a PCMCIA cdrom.
    So I modified the Knoppix bootdisk.
    It works for me so it might also work for you.
    Give it a try.
    The floppy images can be downloaded from:

    http://www.luell.com/download/knoppi...ootdisk.img.gz
    http://www.luell.com/download/knoppi...modules.img.gz

    Hope that helps.

    Bye
    Jochen

Similar Threads

  1. Boot problems with Toshiba CDROM-PCMCIA
    By Marcus658 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-25-2006, 02:53 AM
  2. booting with a usb-cdrom
    By stillspiraling in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 10:15 AM
  3. disketteless + a pcmcia cdrom installation
    By vx_imran in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 05:49 AM
  4. pcmcia cdrom and no floppy installation
    By vx_imran in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 09:47 AM
  5. Once again: PCMCIA-CDROM
    By kea in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



ULTIMATE ARCH LINUX BOOTABLE USB/DVD INSTALLER 64-BIT - CHOOSE BUILD - PC/MAC picture

ULTIMATE ARCH LINUX BOOTABLE USB/DVD INSTALLER 64-BIT - CHOOSE BUILD - PC/MAC

$4.49



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max Router - 5x 2.5GbE - IDS/IPS 2.3 Gbps - UXG-Max picture

Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max Router - 5x 2.5GbE - IDS/IPS 2.3 Gbps - UXG-Max

$180.00



Turbolinux Server and Workstation, Red Hat, Maximum Linux LOT 13 CDs picture

Turbolinux Server and Workstation, Red Hat, Maximum Linux LOT 13 CDs

$40.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$299.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99