-
Over in the Ideas topic I asked for a base release iso that matches the full iso when each new release is posted to the mirrors. That way updating our customizations are a matter of adding to the base only. I am guessing a base iso would be very small but I don't yet know how small is the smallest it can be. I thought of this because although there are many small distros, they all seem to be based on older KNOPPIX versions. I need the latest. And when the next version of KNOPPIX comes out (3.
I will have to start over with the full version and experiment to reduce its size. It will be so much nicer to have a base iso release to build from.
If you like this idea, go over to Ideas and add to the thread any ideas you have in support of base release or just show support by your vote.
In the mean time, since I have my remaster small enough to fit on CDRW I can start working on configuration. I'm after a kiosk like environment that can run on many different laptops. I would like to be able to get the size down to miniCDR or smaller since I will have to burn a couple hundred. I started the query-diff. I have the base-line for 3.6 but when I listed my remaster, since all my packages are marked hold the diff caught every line. I have to brush up on sed or something else to strip parts of each line. Also, I want to pull a few more packages and get the size right at 500mb. I expect to have that list later today no problem. We don't have to wait for a diff you know. If I can send my remaster dpkg list output to you, you can see the status of every package. The best of course would be if I can figure out how to automate generating a kicklist from the original and remaster lists.
My first attempt at kiosk was going to use kde and konqueror. Fabianx has built in a kiosk desktop mode that uses mozilla. If that works out I won't need any of the kde stuff and I could remove it. Before I do, did you want kde on your USB? I can avoid removing it for now to get a 500mb or just go to town and get the smallest I am able to fit on a miniCDR.
Similar Threads
-
By Indig0 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 03:50 PM
-
By sgtdawg in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 09:31 PM
-
By natrius in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-14-2004, 09:19 PM
-
By DBaston in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-31-2004, 11:59 AM
-
By davidHarris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 05-01-2003, 04:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4
$79.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99