Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New to Knoppix - possible to uninstall SP2?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3

    New to Knoppix - possible to uninstall SP2?

    Hi all,
    I just downloaded Knoppix 3.6 the other day and have started playing with it on my Dell 8200. I installed SP2 (I have XP Pro) and (surprise, surprise) cannot get onto my computer. I get the BSOD with the stop error that winsrv cannot be found. I am unable to enter the system through Recovery Console because my administrator password is not accepted. I called Dell, was told twice that they do not send computers with an admin password (XP was on the computer). MS's idea is to do a parallel install of XP. I am trying to avoid that, although I think I'll end up doing so. I tried resetting the password pin on the computer with no change and cannot use Safe Mode, either. I am 100% sure that I am entering the correct password. Leaving the pswd line blank does not work.

    Before I do a parallel install, my question is - can I delete/uninstall SP2 from the Knoppix platform?

    Thx for your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    No, you can't uninstall SP2 from WinXP within Knoppix. (About all you could do is load the Captive-NTFS drivers and then delete files from your NTFS partition.)

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    80
    I know installing winxp is not a fun thing. I have xp on my work machine and we were told explicitly to not install SP2. It has caused major problems on several machines. MS also knows there are issues with the sp and they have a download you can run that will block sp2 updates. You may have been the victim of microsofts frantic pace to try and stay on top of all those that would exploit windows faults.

    In the meantime you can at least read the files on your xp partition and copy them to cd. Run a fresh install of winxp, I would advise against a parallel install. If you have a packaged pc many have a disk with xp and during the auto script it reformats the drive anyway. Bottom line- windows will run better as a fresh install.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    1) You can enter Recovery console, usually admin password is not set in XP. When asked for admin password, just hit <ENTER>.
    In cmd promt: type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst

    2) Can you log in to xp in safe mode(F?
    If you can, then log in safe mode, go to section control panel --->add/remove softwares---->choose to remove XP SP2.
    Or Start--->Run---> type %SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

    3) Log to xp save mode, run system restore.

    Details: http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3
    I think I'll end up copying files and then reinstalling XP (sans the updates).

    Leaving the password line blank still returns the same error (password is invalid). Also, I can get to the safe mode options, but each one just brings up the error code screen (winsrv not found).

    Thanks for the suggestions....

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You could try do a slipstream your sp2 and create new xp cd and do a repair installation. Google for how to slipstream.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3
    That's a good idea, I've read about that from a number of sites and message boards. My only question is - is slipstreaming foolproof? Meaning, will that prevent problems that might occur from downloading the service pack?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Foolproof?
    Slipstream is a way to integrate sp into your existing xp cd. Meaning, changing your xp into sp2 so you don't have to run sp2 separately (new version of XP?).

    Since you already install sp2 into your system, it useless to use your existing xp cd to try " install repair ", it even worsening your problem.

    How to do it:
    http://www.viperlair.com/articles/ho...eam/winxpsp1a/
    Eventhough it's showing how to slipstream servicepack 1, it also work for sp2, you just need to change the sp name.

    Good luck

  9. #9
    I have seen other peoples PC's go this way after SP2. I simply booted from the XP CD, chose install ,rather than repair, after it inspects your hdd, it (hopefully) sees the previous install and asks do you want to repair this install? Which you say yes to. This deletes the windows XP files, and reinstalls them from the CD, then reboots and the XP setup continues. I have not seen this method lose your data. Although all the windows updates are gone including SP2.

    The adminsitrator password isn't required for this. But it may present a problem further down the track.

Similar Threads

  1. Uninstall?
    By harryhood in forum Klik
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 09:01 PM
  2. Uninstall Knoppix 3.7(Debian) LILO from HDD MBR
    By rgarden in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 10:21 AM
  3. How to uninstall?
    By Lumma in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 11:16 PM
  4. uninstall HDD
    By Liquidant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 03:46 AM
  5. uninstall X
    By lilliput in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 06:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro

$339.00