Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Another modem question

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20

    Another modem question

    Whilst waiting for my Knoppix downlad to complete I have been reading round about this winmodem stuff and thinking 'what if I have one !'
    How does one know (from within Windows eg.) if one has a winmodem !?
    Is there a generic telltale/method anywhere ? Or do I just wait to see if a Linux distro can find it sortof after the event ?
    I know theoretically what the differences are, ie. all the processing is done in the modem chipset [know about the AT and the Hayes compatible codes and all that, etc, in the olden days !! been there done them at 9.6k and 14k] or it is all on the PCmain proc chip that has to do it all.
    But what of this _modern_stuff_ that is on a board pluged into my motherboard, how do I ask it what it is ? SiSoftSandra reports it as a Creatix V90 HaM Data Fax Modem, anyone know ? Is that hardware, hybrid, or winmodem ?

    Malcolm.
    650Mb downloaded, nearly there !

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Here's some info:
    http://www.linmodems.org/

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsar
    Here's some info:
    http://www.linmodems.org/
    Thanks. I found an entry in its database for it :-
    0x4000
    Chip Number: Creatix
    Chip Description: V.90 HaM Modem
    Notes: Linux

    but, sadly, that does not leave me much wiser ! However, the mention of Linux is perhaps encouraging "Linux compatible" would have been nicer to see !!
    It does not say if it is a winmodem or not though ,,,, I'll carry on looking ,,,
    The link to its 'Broader Database' (http://start.at/modem) is broke

    thanks,
    Malcolm.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    A quick search seems to indicate it can work under linux. The german version of the Creatix site even has installation instructions for Suse 8.2 and 9.0. (sorry...I can't understand German...but if you can check them out)

    Creatix suggests that you get this driver.

    Driverguide seems to have drivers for it too.

    Boot up under the 2.4 kernel...and give it a shot. Let us know if you need help.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    A common practice, from my days in Win95 / 98 Phone support, was to boot to a COMMAND PROMPT ONLY ( Safe Mode ) - with this type of boot, no windows is loaded, and thus, if a modem is a WinModem, it will not work...

    Using a DOS modem dialer to try and communicate with your modem, would fail to find a WinModem, but would find a "hardware" modem. Not sure what, or where you would find such a thing now-a-days, since most everything comes for Windows, even those "dumb" kermit and telnet programs they "used to have" back in the ol' DOS days.

    A WinModem gets its "smarts" and workings from Windows, and even though Linux developers are working at getting some, to most, of these "WinModems" working through drivers within Linux, it can be hard, painstaking, and down-right impossible to get code from the manufacturers... Even if your Winmodem is supported, it may not "fully" function, as it would within Windows...

    Just my two schillings worth,
    Ms. Cuddles

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    A quick search seems to indicate it can work under linux. The german version of the Creatix site even has installation instructions for Suse 8.2 and 9.0. (sorry...I can't understand German...but if you can check them out)
    Thanks but ' "Eu não falo o alemão" neither '
    my first is English, second Portuguese(Brazilian) and third French (a long time ago !)
    but I was flying a kite cos my box is Medion and my modem is Creatix, both Germanic in origin, so I had hoped that our German friends here present would have been of some assistance !

    Creatix suggests that you get this driver.
    Driverguide seems to have drivers for it too.
    Boot up under the 2.4 kernel...and give it a shot. Let us know if you need help.
    Thanks, downloaded both, not yet sure what to do with them mind,,,, but I live in hope of understanding soon !

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Using a DOS modem dialer to try and communicate with your modem, would fail to find a WinModem, but would find a "hardware" modem. Not sure what, or where you would find such a thing now-a-days, since most everything comes for Windows, even those "dumb" kermit and telnet programs they "used to have" back in the ol' DOS days.
    Good thinking MsCuddles. I still have Kermit and all that stuff on floppy somewhere. Sadly, my cat/archive skills are not up to the task of finding the right disk this side of Xmass

    I still do not know what I am up to in thishere linux thingy ! So I dont know if(or not!) Knoppix knows my modem, I didnt see it in the wierd past-your-eyes-afore-u-see-it boot up screen. I saw lots of other things like USBs and AGPs and allsorts being detected but perhaps missed the modem bit. Is there any way to pipe all that lot to a text file onto floppy ?
    I have been perusing the FM and allsorts of howtos, but not found a way to ask knoppix if it has found (or can find) my modem.

    Once upon a time (in DOS terminals) I could send AT type commands to a modem and it would answer me back with the state of its registers or whatever if it was present. From there it was then a downstream matter to connect with ones ISP, is there nothing similar in Knoppix ?

    Malcolm.
    So much to learn, so little time left,,,

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Using a DOS modem dialer to try and communicate with your modem, would fail to find a WinModem, but would find a "hardware" modem. Not sure what, or where you would find such a thing now-a-days, since most everything comes for Windows, even those "dumb" kermit and telnet programs they "used to have" back in the ol' DOS days.
    Good thinking MsCuddles. I still have Kermit and all that stuff on floppy somewhere. Sadly, my cat/archive skills are not up to the task of finding the right disk this side of Xmass

    I still do not know what I am up to in thishere linux thingy ! So I dont know if(or not!) Knoppix knows my modem, I didnt see it in the wierd past-your-eyes-afore-u-see-it boot up screen. I saw lots of other things like USBs and AGPs and allsorts being detected but perhaps missed the modem bit. Is there any way to pipe all that lot to a text file onto floppy ?

    These days most modems that come pre-installed in a computer are winmodems because they're cheaper.
    I have been perusing the FM and allsorts of howtos, but not found a way to ask knoppix if it has found (or can find) my modem.
    Start KPPP, go to configure, query modem. If it's a winmodem, KPPP simply won't find it.
    See this post for how I got my winmodem to work.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12909

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Start KPPP, go to configure, query modem.]
    See this post for how I got my winmodem to work.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12909
    Thanks for that. Sadly it said "Unable to open modem". Boohoo :-!(
    So it looks like I'll have investigate installing a driver. PITA!

Similar Threads

  1. How To Install Modem Aztech Internal Modem Msp3880
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
  2. Dial-up Modem Issues. Keeps saying "Initializing Modem&
    By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
  3. A question with modem
    By ipc in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 02:31 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
  5. Modem err : ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]
    By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$693.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00