Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Microsoft Brand Network Card (figures :)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2

    Microsoft Brand Network Card (figures :)

    Hello everyone, I'm a Knoppix newbie, so I need some help here. I booted up Knoppix for the first time off my CD, and everything was auto-detected except my MN-130 Microsoft brand PCI ethernet card.

    I ran a program (whose name escapes me) that you use to install devices by picking the driver by hand from a library on the CD, but I couldn't find a driver for my card.

    I was just wondering if anyone could just point me in the right direction with this. I also have a D-Link DI-624 router connected to this ethernet card if that helps.

    Thanks for reading!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You summed it up yourself with "figures". I thought perhaps this was a wireless PCI card, but checked and it's a normal wired 10/100 nic. It's certainly unusual for Knoppix to not support a wired NIC, but not much of a shock considering the source. I've posted some other threads here that show wired NICs stop working under Knoppix (even though they did work before) after running Microsoft "security updates", so it should be no shock that they would do all they could to their own hardware to make sure it doesn't work with the open source OS they fear.

    Fortunately, NICs are cheap. My last few were free; you can get one for $2.99 after rebate this week at CompUSA. I've seem many on-line retailers selling them for under $5 with no rebate to fool with. Do yourself a favor and avoid the Microsoft hardware.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2

    Re

    Ok, thanks for the help. Luckily I have an old Etherlink III card which I saw drivers for on the CD, I was just hoping for an easier solution than opening up the case and such.

Similar Threads

  1. Brand New
    By llwyd in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 03:49 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 06:38 AM
  5. My brand NEW 3.2!
    By Mutant in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$344.74



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper QFX5120-32C-AFI  32x100GbE Switch Dual AC Airflow In, Rail Kit Included picture

Juniper QFX5120-32C-AFI 32x100GbE Switch Dual AC Airflow In, Rail Kit Included

$8150.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch. picture

Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.

$95.62