Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix 3.2 - KDE very slow on startup

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix 3.2 - KDE very slow on startup

    After hdd install I login, no problem. When I logout and try to login again than it takes very long time (more than one minute for KDE to start). The startup
    window hangs all the time on second icon (Initializing system services) and then this window disappears and I can see only mouse pointer. This happens too when I install nvidia drivers, but it has nothing to do with it, if i am not wrong. When I start X from console login and switch back to console it displays initialization of GLX, so I assume that problems here. What I don't know is how to fix it.
    Thanks for any direction, step by step wont be rejected
    Simon

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Have you found anything relevant in /var/log/syslog ?
    How about dmesg?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5

    knoppix 3.2 X slow startup

    /var/log/syslog complains about:
    kernel: mtrr: no MTRR for d8000000,4000000 found
    somewhere I read that it might be related to Nvidia.
    Any clues?
    Thanks Petr Simon

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Post the output of dmesg if you would please. Do you have the vertical and horizontal refresh rates for your monitor? You should be able to find them online somewhere if not. Have you checked them against your XF86Config file? When you booted Knoppix from the cd did everything work as it should? If I understand you correctly this problem happened BEFORE you installed the nvidia drivers as well as after - yes?

Similar Threads

  1. dd is VERY slow for Knoppix - HELP !!!!!
    By bruceleung in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 06:42 AM
  2. Slow startup times
    By sharlila in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-21-2004, 02:56 PM
  3. slow startup times
    By sharlila in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 05:04 AM
  4. X startup very slow
    By m_yates in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:21 AM
  5. Knoppix dvd and slow computer
    By RickyJaff in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 01:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$275.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$225.00



Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair picture

Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair

$48.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET picture

Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET

$69.99



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4 picture

1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4

$59.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99