Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Problem with partitions

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    11

    Problem with partitions

    hi. I have a problem with of partitions. When i read the file /proc/partitions a vfat partition is messing (a extended). But when i run cfdisk or gtparted, the missing partition apears. How can I solve thsi?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I guess I don't see what the problem is.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    11
    the problem is that i can not mount the missing partition

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    In my experience, creating the partition doesn't format it. You still need to format the partition using the mkfs command in the console. I bet you'll have to do it as root, so stick "sudo" and a space in front of your mkfs command.

    jd

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8
    I think this is a good post for making my question. That is:

    This is my very first time i use knoppix. I'm triying to recover some files i have in one partition that win98 kicked away (I say kicked 'cos I don't really know what had win98 did to it). But I can't mount that partition.
    Knoppix flag me this notice:

    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified
    Please check that the disk is entered correctly.

    I'm new and I don't know whats the meaning of that and far from it the solution

    thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Hi, give us an idea of what led up to this. If it's W98, probably FAT32 fs type, or what linux calls vfat. Might try the console

    Might try the console command "sudo mount -t vfat /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??", where ?? is the location (probably a1 if it's your C: drive, or something else if it's not).

    jd

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8
    I'l try to explain the real problem (it's a bit dificcult to me, I'm not english speaker)

    I had a hd with 3 partitions. Twice with an OS (winxp both) and one with data.
    One of the OS (c was running bad, so I decided to format c: and install win98 for be able to use partition magic (partition magic doesn't work properly in winxp).
    I though the win98 install program let me choose in which partition i wanted to install that OS. But no.
    The program restart the computer and get hanged (it does install nothing) and when i try to restart again without the cd, the pc gives me a message like: there's no OS.

    That's is the problem.

    How i tried to solve this?
    Like i had said. I tried with knoppix and i got surprise when i see that i only have one partition in that hd and i also cant mount it.

    I don't know if i have explained. Thanks lots

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake

    Might try the console command "sudo mount -t vfat /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??", where ?? is the location (probably a1 if it's your C: drive, or something else if it's not).

    jd
    i have tried that command but doesn't work

Similar Threads

  1. Partitions and such. Need help.
    By cyberstew in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 12:50 AM
  2. partitions
    By newknoppixguy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 04:07 AM
  3. How can I tell how big my partitions are
    By KnopperX in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 04:48 PM
  4. partitions???
    By knoppixnewb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 11:16 AM
  5. Problem reading existing partitions
    By kgray1980 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2003, 10:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used picture

ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used

$220.00



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$75.00