-
Knoppix Live CD-Entire windows system backup to DVD via USB
I am new to Linux and new to Knoppix. This is what I am trying to do. I would like to boot to Knoppix Live CD 3.6 on a windows machine with an Iomega SuperDVD 12x Writer attached via USB. I would then like to create a backup image of the entire hard drive (windows partition) and burn it directly to DVDs. To reiterate, I am completely a novice to Linux. I can confirm that the drive is accessible when booting to Knoppix Live CD, which is great! Someone mentioned "dd" to me. Will this be acceptable? I am not very concerned about performance, but I am concerned with integrity.
Ghost for Windows / DOS is 100% NOT an option any more because I cannot see the USB drive. I have spent the last 180 hours trying to get this going but USB support for DOS just is not there... so please do not reference Ghost. Also Iomega will not provide any support for DOS based issues.
Does anyone know how to implement this? Perhaps there is an application that I could add to the Knoppix iso and then burn it. If it is via command line, I will need to know how to determine what device is actually the USB DVD burner and also how to determine what device is the windows partition. I tried the mount command but what is returned is somewhat confusing. In addition, I am not certain if it will be necessary to put some sort of size limit which will prompt me when the 1st DVD is filled up and it is time to eject the 1st DVD and inject the 2nd DVD.
I am not sure if this is a lot to ask and I am not certain if I am even in the right area to be asking such a question.
Any assitance on implementing this would be GREATLY appreciated !!
Thanks,
Mike
Similar Threads
-
By yoma in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-10-2005, 02:58 PM
-
By rbasting in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-30-2005, 05:43 AM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 10:57 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
-
By OCedHrt in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-17-2004, 05:35 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Lot Of (8) Mixed RAM Spacer DDR4 2666 Micron 2400T Samsung 2133P Desktop Server
$880.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3
$200.00

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY
$239.00

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.
$260.00