Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Runs OK, but Control Center's Linux Kernel' page is blank!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8

    Runs OK, but Control Center's Linux Kernel' page is blank!

    Hello, everyone.

    As you can see, I have not posted here often; I have learned a great deal about Knoppix and Linux in general by reading the informative posts that fill this forum, however. I hope that keeps me from asking too many Newbie questions!

    I could not find answers to a couple of issues I have noticed, which may be bugs in the 3.4 release, with both the 2.4.26 and 2.6.7 kernels...

    I noticed the first issue while playing with the LiveCD, in the Control Center> System Admin> Linux Kernel...

    I saw at the top of the page: Path to kernel sources: /usr/src/linux

    And right below that, it said, "Sorry!"

    "The kernel configuration could not be read due to the following error:

    No Hardware Architecture was specified! Perhaps the kernel's source code is not installed on this system, or the path is entered incorrectly."

    Then it continues, "Either your kernel sources contain invalid config rules or you just found a KDE Bug!"

    There is no config source file listed, nor is there anything in the Architecture box. How odd.

    So after I did the HDD install, I looked in the /usr/src directory again and saw that the linux folder is just a shortcut which links to the linux-2.4.26 folder right beside it, same as the Live version...nothing had changed.

    Inside 'linux-2.4.26' are just the folders 'Documentation' and 'Include'; nothing else.

    I am guessing that this means I'll need to copy the kernel's config file into this folder (since without a subdirectory link to follow, the string is just looking at the outside of two blank folders) or I need to find the path's string in the Linux Kernel configuration page's .config file, and edit that. The CC page does not let me save a different path.

    My question is, are all the Knoppix 3.4 iso files set up this way, and, if so, then why is it my intense Google searches have netted me ziltch for info on this subject?!

    BTW, I have not moved anything since I did the install, but I did burn two different copies to my HDD (two diff partitions) and updated the 2nd version to 2.6.7_686....but there again, the same issue presents itself.

    Thing is, they both run solidly, quickly, and smoothly; the OS loads in under 3 minutes (my PC:Asus P4C800-E Del/2.80E/512MB PC3200/GeF5900/2x80GB HDD(hda1=80GBntfs read-only; hdb1=20GBWin98; hdb5=20GBext3(empty); hdb6=8GBext3 w/2.4.26 '/' directory; hd7 has 8GB 2.4 /home; hd8=8GB w/2.6.7 '/' and hd9=2.6 /home; hd10=512MB swap space. The rest of hdb(hdb2-hdb4) is NTFS paging file-virtual memory, and about 5GB of XP files are stored there too. No Knoppix app can write to anything formatted ntfs! That is not ever allowed.))

    The only other problem I have had with this distrro is that the Swap Files absolutely refused to swap while running the LiveCD! After I did the HDD install, I saw that there was no change at all...after I noticed that, I did the second install...then updated....and when it Still didn't want to play nice, THAT'S when I decided to set the /home directories up in separate partitions to see if that would help. Nope; no dice.

    I am using GAG in the MBR to find all the active OS'es, and Lilo boots whichever Knoppix kernel I select flawlessly, every time.

    Please let me know if you experienced this with your 3.4 release, and/or what you think might be the best fix.

    TIA!!

    Best regards,

    FastVFR

    PS. Oh yes...if anyone could tell me where I should go to edit this &#@%$ pointer shadow out from beneath my cursor, I would be much obliged!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    The kernel sources are not on the Knoppix CD due to space limitations. So you can't use the Kernel Configuration Control Center module. You would have to download the kernel source from kernel.org

    probono

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    30
    Cursors:

    http://kde-look.org/

    See the X11 Mouse Themes section. How to install them:

    http://wiki.tryphon.org/LinuxWiki/Cursors

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8
    Mr. Probono; Mr. Gruntbuggly:

    That was great advice, guys!

    I set the cursors up this afternoon (got several, but have Grounation installed presently....what an improvement. I find these to be a huge step up in functionality; the shadow from the ][ edit cursor was making me start my Copy highlights in the wrong spot.

    This guy got it right. You can have your shadowy 3D cursors, but don't string the shadow out to the right or left!! These are perfect.

    The other bit of perfection that arose from your sagacious advise is the fact that, after installing the kernel source in /usr/src/linux, setting the proper switches in the Config window, cleaning up the change and rebooting, my PC went from 15% free RAM to over 50% free!!

    What a difference setting up the kernel to use the hardware properly makes.

    Again, fellas, thanks for your help.

    Best regards,

    FastVFR - A Little Less NooB!

Similar Threads

  1. Creating Linux and Swap partitions on a blank drive
    By pezz453 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 10:07 PM
  2. booting knoppix, blank screen at kernel image load
    By trotfox in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 08:21 PM
  3. linux and 2.6 kernel
    By firebyrd10 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:59 AM
  4. Linux kernel 2.6.0?
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 09:28 PM
  5. Printer prints blank first page
    By CivilEng in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 12:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$429.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99