Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help formatting a CompactFlash card with vfat & ext2

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    Help formatting a CompactFlash card with vfat & ext2

    complete newbie here to the linux/knoppix world. I'm working off of (not very clear) instructions to partition & then format a compact flash card from within Knoppix.

    When I book to the Knoppix 3.6 cd, it does detect and mount as sda1 my CF card which is connected via a USB card reader. I am using a SanDisk 256MB card.
    I did manage to get the two partitions created (I think) as follows:
    sda1p1: size=8MB, format=b (Win95 FAT32)
    sda1p2: size=the rest of the space format=Linux

    Next, I need to format the 2 partitions (they aren't already formatted from creating the partitions, correct?). The commands in my instructions for formating the partitions are:
    ---
    mkfs -t vfat /dev/hd*1
    mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hd*2
    ---
    so, I tried typing the following at a terminal:
    mkfs -t vfat /dev/sda1p1

    and I get the error:
    /dev/sda1p1 - no such file or directory

    Since, I don't know linux at all, I'm not sure where to turn from here. Am I in the wrong directory where I am typing this command? Do I need to mount the partitions first? Is the syntax of this formatting command incorrect? Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated! Please give as many specifics as you can in your response!

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Try:

    mkfs -t vfat /dev/sda1

Similar Threads

  1. Wlan config using Senao 2511CD/ext2 card - drivers?
    By Muircheartach in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 12:50 AM
  2. boot from CompactFlash Card ext2 formatted
    By poppicu in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 10:38 PM
  3. iso to vfat
    By cld in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 05:33 PM
  4. pendisk - vfat or ext2?
    By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:08 PM
  5. vfat not loaded automatically? vfat=fat32 support?
    By pc_dev in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2003, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95