-
Help formatting a CompactFlash card with vfat & ext2
complete newbie here to the linux/knoppix world. I'm working off of (not very clear) instructions to partition & then format a compact flash card from within Knoppix.
When I book to the Knoppix 3.6 cd, it does detect and mount as sda1 my CF card which is connected via a USB card reader. I am using a SanDisk 256MB card.
I did manage to get the two partitions created (I think) as follows:
sda1p1: size=8MB, format=b (Win95 FAT32)
sda1p2: size=the rest of the space format=Linux
Next, I need to format the 2 partitions (they aren't already formatted from creating the partitions, correct?). The commands in my instructions for formating the partitions are:
---
mkfs -t vfat /dev/hd*1
mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hd*2
---
so, I tried typing the following at a terminal:
mkfs -t vfat /dev/sda1p1
and I get the error:
/dev/sda1p1 - no such file or directory
Since, I don't know linux at all, I'm not sure where to turn from here. Am I in the wrong directory where I am typing this command? Do I need to mount the partitions first? Is the syntax of this formatting command incorrect? Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated! Please give as many specifics as you can in your response!
Thank you!
Similar Threads
-
By Muircheartach in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-04-2005, 12:50 AM
-
By poppicu in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-03-2005, 10:38 PM
-
By cld in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-26-2004, 05:33 PM
-
By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:08 PM
-
By pc_dev in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99