Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Playing MIDI files in Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Playing MIDI files in Knoppix

    I would like to know if there is a way to play MIDI files in knoppix??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Code:
    playmidi --help
    for example

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    well for me, playmidi gives the error:
    Code:
     open /dev/sequencer: No such device or address
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think knoppix autoconfigures the WAV output of the soundcard only, not the MIDI part, because why else would /dev/sequencer not be configured?

    I've been trying to find out how to get /dev/sequencer configured also, if anybody knows the secret...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by redss
    well for me, playmidi gives the error:
    Code:
     open /dev/sequencer: No such device or address
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think knoppix autoconfigures the WAV output of the soundcard only, not the MIDI part, because why else would /dev/sequencer not be configured?

    I've been trying to find out how to get /dev/sequencer configured also, if anybody knows the secret...
    for a hd installed setup.
    apt-get install timidity
    will install the software to emulate midi thru the sound's cards wave.
    (there's no midi chip on most motherboards with ac97 sound chip built in....)

    if booting off a cd you'll have to look up how to install software.
    it's here somewhere in one of the forums.....
    Install timidity then you should be able to use playmidi.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7
    I have the same pb with MIDI,
    I am unable to boot with the ALSA cheatcode
    So I am under OSS
    Is timidity compatible with OSS, or does it work only with ALSA?

    tanx in advance

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    I was wrong.....
    try:
    timidity /my_music_path_/my_song.mid
    after installing timidity.
    I knew I played a midi song a few days before....
    I have ALSA.
    I'm still figureing out how to do quite a few things still.

Similar Threads

  1. .rm files not playing
    By iguy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM
  2. Playing multiple files with xine...question
    By turbine in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 08:25 AM
  3. Playing media files from Samba share.
    By frednofr in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 07:46 PM
  4. Midi files
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 01:40 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00