Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix 3.6 and Homepna PPPoE ADSL with username and passwd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 3.6 and Homepna PPPoE ADSL with username and passwd

    Hello
    I tried to boot knoppix 3.6 from cd and make it work with my internet connection.
    Before i had mandrake and there was nice wizard to make PPPoE connection with username and password.
    I tried to use pppoeconf... it found my ethernetcards just fine, but told me that cant make connection and never asked username or password.
    I couldnt make that internet-connection work.
    Can you please help me?
    Thank u anyway

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1
    I get the same problems with Knoppix (version 3.6). As I try to set up my internet connection I don't get further than the 2nd step in the wizard. At the first step it detects my ethernet divice (eth0) properly, but in the 2nd one I get the following error massage: "Sorry, I scanned 1 interface(s), but the Access Concentrator of your provider did not respond. Please check your network and modem cables. Another reason for the scan failure may also be another running pppoe process which controls the modem."
    But the network cables are fine, and there is no pppoe process running that I'd know.

    Could U help me with this problem, pls?!

    jns

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Edit /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider (as root).

    jns: To see whether a ppp-process is running:
    Code:
    ps | grep ppp

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hi!

    I have the same phenomenon - and the solution - At least with my Fritz!Box Fon the solution works.
    My DSL-Modem (Fritz!Box Fon) wants to have an unique identifier for the pppoe-connection. Therefor the pppoeconf - script needs to be modified.
    The script is in /usr/sbin
    The script is on CD-ROM - so can't be modified directly. copy it first into the home directory.
    1. Open a Root-Shell
    2. cp /usr/sbin/pppoeconf .
    3. joe pppoeconf (edit the script for example with joe)
    4. find the line containing "($DISCOVERY_PROGRAM -A -I $iface"...
    5. change it to "($DISCOVERY_PROGRAM -A -U -I $iface"...
    6. save and exit with control-k-x
    7. run the script with ./pppoeconf
    8. now it should work!

    Hope this helps,
    Pfeffer.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    Same problem here. Solved running netcardconfig before pppoeconf


  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hi!

    sometimes it might help just to enter the following in a root-shell before starting pppoeconf:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    pfeffer.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 07:19 PM
  2. ADSL/PPPOE configuration
    By rickwinters in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 08:57 PM
  3. ADSL/PPPOE Configuration
    By ronin1967 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 03:56 AM
  4. Firewall and ADSL/PPPoe connection
    By funky in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 11:26 PM
  5. ADSL/PPPoE Configuration Problem
    By Zapata in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99