Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: knoppix in school

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177

    knoppix in school

    I'll try and keep this to the point.

    I work at an after-school program ata low income school. After spring break I will be teaching a geometry class and wanted to use geometer's sketchpad, but tht's a lot of money for 4 to 6 workstations, plus, PC's are hard to come by at that school.

    But today it struck me.
    I do have access to a number of NIC's. If you're not familiar an NIC (New Internet Computer) is a stripped down internet only computer with a 200 mhz CPU 60MB ram and no hard drive or floppy. It uses a specialy designed sun microsystems uni that only has a web browser, which, like knoppix, runs entirely from the CD. Today I tried knoppix because I remembered that it comes with kreative geometry, which would work fine. And it did boot. Of course all I got was an X-window, but I was able to use the left mouse button menu to launch the program and it ram fine, but load times were BAD.

    My question is, what can I do to make things run faster or smoother, or make starting up more simple for the kids? I don't think I have enough computer of my own to recompile my knoppix CD, so I'm stuck using boot commands. Remember, there's no hard disk OR floppy.

    Anyway, any suggestions appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    The only problem I see is that 60Mb of ram and no swap possibilities. KDE would crash for sure. Even the ligher IceWM would crash after you loaded up a few programs. You can F2 cheat code into the other window managers and try it out. Forget KDE.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    There has been much discussion about booting Knoppix w/ small amounts of RAM. The only way to do it (as far as I know) is to have a swap file on a hard drive. I know this doesn't help you. As far as remastering goes you really just need hard drive space. It would take longer on for example a 233MHz than a 500MHz of course but it can be done. My only guess would be:
    knoppix desktop=xfce
    a very light and intuitive interface although fluxbox is also quite easy on resources.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    VeeDubb,

    Do you have access to one computer you could run knoppix on or much better yet install a linux distro and run it as an application and X-window server? Then you could use knoppix on the NIC's and run them as X-terminals to log into and run the apps from the "server" computer.

    A friend still uses a p-200 w/ 160mb ram as his app server, and has 5 or 6 X-terminals running that connect to the server in his office, they primarily use netscape and Star-Office in his business. You will notice a bit of network lag, but I can run knoppix on my p-150 w/32mb and a hd swap as an X-term no problem and run apps ie; openoffice, mozilla etc. in kde from my AMD350 w/128mb ram much faster than trying to run knoppix from cd on the p-150 even with a lightweight window manager.

    If you wanted to run knoppix from cd on the server you'd have to get kdm running with xdmcp and if you don't have a router already on the network you'd have to get dhcpd running so you could give ip addresses to the X-terms, it's probably best to run the server with a static ip address.

    rock

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Yeah, like RockMumbles says.

    Get a real cheap PII with a HD and make it a server and the rest of the computers thin clients with bootable NICs. No HD or floppy needed.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    What is the hardware requirement to run X-terminal which in this case would be a base Linux plus XFree86 right ?

    Still learning as I am a Window user tasting Linux because of the KNOPPIX concept.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    As far as the X-terminal computers a pentium class computer (actually even a 486 will work if it has a pci motherboard, it'll be slower) with a supported pci graphic card (2MB if you want to use 1024x768 resolution, many older cards will work OK as X-terms with the vesa driver) probably 32MB of system ram and a 300 - 500MB hard drive. A pentium computer with ps/2 keyboard and mouse would be best choice, just because of replacement mouse and keyboard availability.

    Note: you're not going to be playing games on these, they are for internet and office type applications and for that kind of use they function very well.

    As far as the X-Term OS you need a base system, networking, and X.

    rock

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    I'd like to see a PCI 486 mobo. Mine only does ISA. A 2meg ISA video card would be nice too.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    118

    Re: knoppix in school

    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
    I'll try and keep this to the point.

    I work at an after-school program ata low income school. After spring break I will be teaching a geometry class and wanted to use geometer's sketchpad, but tht's a lot of money for 4 to 6 workstations, plus, PC's are hard to come by at that school.

    But today it struck me.
    I do have access to a number of NIC's. If you're not familiar an NIC (New Internet Computer) is a stripped down internet only computer with a 200 mhz CPU 60MB ram and no hard drive or floppy. It uses a specialy designed sun microsystems uni that only has a web browser, which, like knoppix, runs entirely from the CD. Today I tried knoppix because I remembered that it comes with kreative geometry, which would work fine. And it did boot. Of course all I got was an X-window, but I was able to use the left mouse button menu to launch the program and it ram fine, but load times were BAD.

    My question is, what can I do to make things run faster or smoother, or make starting up more simple for the kids? I don't think I have enough computer of my own to recompile my knoppix CD, so I'm stuck using boot commands. Remember, there's no hard disk OR floppy.

    Anyway, any suggestions appreciated.
    Take a look at the Linux Terminal Server Project at:
    http://k12ltsp.org/contents.html

    Also take a look at Linux on ITX based boards:
    http://mini-itx.com/store/

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I'm getting a new lab next year for my compsci classes. I'm wondering how I could set it up. Could I knx-hdinstall one PC and set it up as a file server that all the other PCs could logon to so my students could save their files in one place? In other words, could I simply use the KNOPPIX CD on those other machines and login remotely to the server machine? Can I use xdm or kdm this way? How would I get a login screen?

    TIA,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. School Use?
    By toxic in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 06:47 PM
  2. After school program using Knoppix
    By msouden in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 06:27 PM
  3. Passing School Filters?
    By Me1324 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 11:54 PM
  4. Help connecting to a school LAN network
    By rasheemo in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 03:51 PM
  5. Knoppix at School
    By |darc| in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 04:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$320.00



Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2 picture

Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2

$30.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory picture

Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory

$199.99



SK Hynix 32GB(1x32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V-R DDR4 ECC Memory RDIMM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB(1x32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V-R DDR4 ECC Memory RDIMM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$200.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99