-
Junior Member
registered user
Practical compression advice needed (and a samba mystery)
Dear forum,
You guys have no idea how much you've helped me in the past when I have stumbled into Knoppix problems and scanned the forum. Thanx! This time though, I think I need to actually post my prob because I can not find a similar problem/request here or elsewhere. Its a general "usage" problem so I guess you don't have to be a hacker to give me some advice. So, here I go.
I am in charge of managing a couple of clustered Quantian 0.5.9.3 (http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html) boxes that we use for biological computation at my department, and to make regular backups of important files. The backups are meant to be transferred to a HP Windows NTFS-RAID server. The server is reachable with (tada!) samba. I have tried mirroring the important folders with rdiff-backup or rsync. But the first doesn't seem to work with a mounted samba drive and the second fails to transfer all files (I think due to odd characters in the file names - like : and ?) and permissions and ownership screws up anyways.
A bz2 compressed tar archive of these files weighs in at about 4 Gigs and can be produced in about two hours or so, which is ok if I do the backup weekly. However, copying such a file to the server is not possible because the copying-process stops after 2,0Gigs or 2 147 483 647 bytes! I have no idea where this limitation appears, but it's really a pain. Therefor I can use arj instead to produce multiple archives, each of which is smaller than 2,0 gigs. Which can then be transferred. However, I have only managed to run arj on a file or folder and not directly on a pipe from tar, which whould be much nicer and faster and requiring less free diskspace. Thus my horde of questions:
Do you think there is a way around the 2 Gig-transfer problem?
Can arj be used in a "tar <files> | arj <archive>" fashion?
Can any of the other free compression utilities like gzip and bzip2 create multiple archives? And of course then also be "piped to".
Am I missing a very different (and simple) solution to this problem?
Regards,
WedDa
Similar Threads
-
By djh-world in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-15-2005, 07:08 PM
-
By eon in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-05-2004, 05:54 PM
-
By Harry Kuhman in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-25-2004, 04:41 PM
-
By rusty in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-23-2004, 05:25 AM
-
By ellen in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 12:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00

atari 400 Upgraded 48k board & mpp-1100 working & Power Supply
$109.65

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested
$149.99

Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari
$129.99

Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player, Power Adapter. Partial function.
$42.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29