Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: lilo problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19

    lilo problem

    I just got a new computer, and partitioned hda1 for windows, hda2 for linux. I installed debian on hda2 (which installed lilo and created a lilo.conf that boots directly into it). I then installed windows xp pro on hda1. After I installed windows it boots directly into windows. I would like to set lilo up so I can choose between them.

    I booted into the cd and typed lilo,
    It asks me to edit the /etc/lilo.conf, and ive know idea what to put there.
    There is already a lilo.conf in hda2, so I added:

    other=/dev/hda2
    label=Windows

    at the end and left the rest unchanged. I then ran:

    lilo -C /mnt/hda2/etc/lilo.conf

    And it says:

    Fatal: /boot/map~ Read only file system.

    I would try using some more options on lilo, but I really dont want to mess up anything. Can anyone give me some easy to follow instructions to set lilo up after booting from the knoppix cd? Im real confused by it and I cant find a tutorial anywhere.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Check out the lilo manpage. It shows that the -r root-directory argument makes lilo chroot to the directory specified. What is happening is that lilo is trying to write to the knoppix CDR which is the boot device. The CDR is showing the root / , /boot & /etc as read-only. By using the -r option, you can tell it to ignore the existing / off the CD and use /mnt/hda2 as the new root.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    The easiest way to configure a dual boot system is to start with the install of WinXP and Knoppix after that (in my opinion). This way you automatically obtain the option in lilo for booting one of the two operating systems. No configuring of lilo is needed this way (remember it when you have to set a dual boot again in future).

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    How to booting linux using ntloader:
    http://www.prosig.com/protor/kbase/NT-Linux-boot.html

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Re: lilo problem

    Quote Originally Posted by tw
    other=/dev/hda2
    label=Windows

    at the end and left the rest unchanged. I then ran:

    lilo -C /mnt/hda2/etc/lilo.conf
    That's inconsistent, since you've told us that hda1 holds windows. Boot with "knoppix 2 noswap", "mount /mnt/hda2", "mcedit /mnt/hda2/lilo.conf", make sure you specify hda1 in the "other" section for windows, "lilo -v -r /mnt/hda2". Pay attention to possible error messages, then run cfdisk and make sure hda2 is the (only) partition marked active/bootable. On reboot lilo will have two entries for linux and windows.

    The alternative, as shah suggested, is to copy your hda2 boot sector and add an entry for it to c:\boot.ini.

Similar Threads

  1. LILo problem
    By JCComputers in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 07:19 AM
  2. LILO problem
    By shadinio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 05:07 PM
  3. lilo Problem
    By saden1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 07:12 PM
  4. New LILO 99 problem
    By sonic20 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2003, 04:57 AM
  5. Lilo problem
    By milenbo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2003, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99