-
Internet sharing?
I've read the sticky theard about Internet Sharing but I don't understand.
I'm using Knoppix3.6, witch have Internet access, through my 1st network card.
Then I have a WinXP machine connected to my 2nd network card.
How do I make it so the XP machine can surf through Knoppix3.6??
I am new to Linux so explain in extreme detail plz 
btw I cant even ping the XP machine (with all firewalls disabled)
-
Senior Member
registered user
The easiest way... okay? You not using router, right?
If running knoppix from cd:
1) Run network card configuration, don't choose dhcp. Set your ip ..etc.
2) Set your internet connection and connect.
3) Run knoppix terminal server...just hit <enter> on every question asked.
If running knoppix from HDD:
1) You can use above procedure.
2) You can apt-get (install) guidedog or firestarter.
a) Guidedog:
i) Tick on enable routing, enable IP masquerade,FTP,IRC.
ii) If your other pc has an IP, set an IP range in No-masquerade Addresses section. Ex: 192.168.0.0/24 if the pc ip is 192.168.0.x
iii) Hit apply, and your done.
b) Firestarter ***choose this if you want to share connection with firewall in one package.
i) You the wizard to set your connection sharing and firewall.
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you talk german, this brief introduction might help:
http://www.linuxeinsteiger.info/anle...etz/netz11.php
It tells you how to setup linux as router.
(Perhaps guidedog and/ or firestarter do nearly the same thing behind the scene.)
I guess you need at least
Code:
route add default gw LINUX_IP
, translated to Win-syntax, called from the win-machine.
I used the tutorial in a slightly different way - two linux-machines, one network-card each, a switch, and the dsl-stuff, and it works perfectly.
Similar Threads
-
By Jwizzman in forum Networking
Replies: 8
Last Post: 09-12-2004, 09:52 PM
-
By tomtool in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 09:45 AM
-
By iisatrini in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 09:07 PM
-
By Yeti in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 06:56 AM
-
By captaincourage in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-29-2003, 06:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro
$240.00

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99