Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Presario 2105us

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20

    Presario 2105us

    v3.2 works fine; v 3.6 gives a splash screen, waits for my to hit enter, then freezes, blank. I was happy with 3.2, except it doesn't come with perl-doc and I've wasted God alone knows how many hours diddling with dselect, apt-get, dpkg trying to get perl-doc installed. This might be merely a reflection of my competence.

    Requesting pointers of two sorts: 1.) How to get perl-doc going on a 3.2 install (apt-get install perl-doc is no good) or 2.) How to get 3.6 running on this machine; what cheat codes, etc.

    Many many thanks to all.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Presario 2105us

    Quote Originally Posted by phaedral
    This might be merely a reflection of my competence.
    Heheh that's funny.

    Requesting pointers of two sorts: 1.) How to get perl-doc going on a 3.2 install (apt-get install perl-doc is no good) or 2.) How to get 3.6 running on this machine; what cheat codes, etc.

    Many many thanks to all.
    If apt-get update && apt-get install perl-doc isn't working then something's wrong. What error are you getting when you try to install perl-doc?

    It works for me:
    Code:
    # apt-get install perl-doc
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Suggested packages:
      groff
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      perl-doc
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
    Need to get 7051kB of archives.
    After unpacking 12.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Get:1 ftp://archive.progeny.com unstable/main perl-doc 5.8.4-2.2 [7051kB]
    Fetched 7051kB in 22s (308kB/s)                                                
    Selecting previously deselected package perl-doc.
    (Reading database ... 51188 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking perl-doc (from .../perl-doc_5.8.4-2.2_all.deb) ...
    Adding `diversion of /usr/bin/perldoc to /usr/bin/perldoc.stub by perl-doc'
    Setting up perl-doc (5.8.4-2.2) ...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2

    Try these boot options...

    Try booting 3.6 with these parameters:

    Code:
    nolapic acpi=on nodma
    I've got a 2140, and it took me a long time before I found those options, but they seem to work perfectly.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Are you running live-cd?

    If so you can't install anything.

    I'm just guessing because you talk about the differnt versions.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20

    Re: Try these boot options...

    Quote Originally Posted by dgorley
    Try booting 3.6 with these parameters:

    Code:
    nolapic acpi=on nodma
    Tried it; give me:
    Code:
    Can't find image nolapic
    Sorry, new to this forum, trying to answer all replies in this one post. I was trying to install perl-doc on an hdd install of knoppix 3.2.

    Trying
    Code:
    apt-get install perl-doc
    gets me
    Code:
    Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
      perl-doc: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.1-8.3) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Sorry, broken pakages
    I've tried apt-get update. I've tried apt-get -f install. I've tried dpkg --configure -a; all from either error messages or howtos.

    Code:
    This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi
    [/code]

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2
    Sorry I wasn't more specific - you still need the image name, so enter:

    Code:
    knoppix nolapic acpi=on nodma
    or

    Code:
    knoppix26 nolapic acpi=on nodma

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20
    Code:
    knoppix nolapic acpi=on nodma
    Duh. No need for you to aplogize; I should know better. Thanks; I'll post a toot sometime tomorrow when I get to work on this some more. Rock on.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20
    Hooty-hoo! Thanks for the cheat-code; I'm looking at knx3.6 as I type.

    Too bad it doesn't seem to have perldoc...but that's now another problem for another day. Thanks again for all the help!

Similar Threads

  1. no sound Presario R3000 ATI chipset
    By mrgraey in forum Laptops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 03:00 PM
  2. compaq presario r3000
    By t0ast in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 06:27 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 02:18 AM
  4. Compaq Presario 2584AG Laptop
    By jxn in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 04:17 AM
  5. 486 presario CDS 520
    By lascivious in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 12:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01