-
Junior Member
registered user
Networking problem w/HDD installation...
Guys;
Here's the deal - I'm using a Gateway M500 with an HDD installation of Knoppix v-3.6 and the 2.6.7 kernel. So far I have been successful with setting things up, including the wireless (Orinoco/Lucent). However, the wireless is the problem...
I have a small LAN laid out here in my home and I use a static IP on ALL of the systems on the LAN. When I configured the networking here in Knoppix v-3.6 I DID set it to use a static IP. All was well until I rebooted - when I checked the IP after a reboot, it shows it using a DHCP defined IP and NOT the statically set IP I defined.
OK, now for my observations...
On bootups I can see a line saying that /etc/network/ifstate is being 'cleaned'. All lines displayed afterwards that deal with the networking says that the NIC/WiFi (eth2) is no configured and so it fails to load the config I had setup. I have looked in /var/log for a log containing the text displayed during bootups to no avail. And since I'm barely above a novice, I don't understand all that is being said in the displayed text.
Now for my temporary fix...
After login, I open konsole, run 'vi /etc/network/ifstate' and add 'eth2=eth2'. Next, I run 'ifdown eth2' to take the wireless down, then I run 'ifup eth2' to bring the wireless back up. Doing this will always use my original configuration which uses the static IP.
After I do this, all is well once again - until I reboot! Then '/etc/network/ifstate' will be 'cleaned' once more and the wireless will revert back to using DHCP.
Guys, any suggestions on how to correct this? It would be nice to have it reboot and still be using the static IP...
Thanks...
Similar Threads
-
By m2bord in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-01-2005, 04:03 AM
-
By nicorellius in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-01-2004, 05:50 AM
-
By SillyFly in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-18-2004, 03:57 PM
-
By cmoser99 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-02-2003, 10:56 AM
-
By unclebulgaria in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-14-2003, 10:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01