Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: X dies on updates

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20

    X dies on updates

    Greetings. I've been using knoppix 3.2 for about a year now on my Compaq 2105us; it's been my favorite linux distro to date. But it is not without challenges. I had tried going straight Debian, but Knoppix has superior hardware detection.

    So, I get Knoppix installed on the hdd, but that doesn't give me perl-doc. No problem, apt-get install perl-doc...which fails utterly. So I read through the apt howto and some Debian faqs, where I get the sage advice to try letting dselect just do it's thing. This, in turn, downloads all kinds of stuff and breaks X. The reason I went with Knoppix instead of straight Debian is that Knoppix gets X working right out of the gate, whereas several tries at installing X (including building from source) failed under Debian on this machine.

    Back to square one. I am about to re-install knoppix 3.2. Then I'm going to fire up dselect, but this time I'm going to tell it to put all packages on hold. And then I'm going to try to slowly, one app-plus-dependencies at a time, try to get perl-doc.

    Unless some kind soul here has a better suggestion. All pointers welcome.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Well on my Knoppix 3.3 it did get alot of other stuff

    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libdb4.2 libperl5.8 perl perl-base perl-modules
    Suggested packages:
    libterm-readline-perl-perl
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libdb4.2 perl-doc
    The following packages will be upgraded
    libperl5.8 perl perl-base perl-modules
    4 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 863 not upgraded.
    Inst perl-modules [5.8.2-2] (5.8.4-2 Debian:testing) []
    Inst libdb4.2 (4.2.52-16 Debian:testing) []
    Inst perl [5.8.2-2] (5.8.4-2 Debian:testing) []
    Inst libperl5.8 [5.8.2-2] (5.8.4-2 Debian:testing) []
    Inst perl-base [5.8.2-2] (5.8.4-2 Debian:testing)
    Conf perl-base (5.8.4-2 Debian:testing)
    Inst perl-doc (5.8.4-2 Debian:testing)
    Conf libdb4.2 (4.2.52-16 Debian:testing)
    Conf perl (5.8.4-2 Debian:testing)
    Conf perl-modules (5.8.4-2 Debian:testing)
    Conf libperl5.8 (5.8.4-2 Debian:testing)
    Conf perl-doc (5.8.4-2 Debian:testing)

    But it didnt break X server.

    Knoppix 3.6 has perl-doc installed.

    I don-t know if it is an option to use 3.3 or 3.6, but otherwise the hold trick might do it but
    thats a lot of fiddling.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20
    metavoid,

    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I figured I could just get a current knoppix disc, but from a "displaying my competence" standpoint that's a real drag. After all, one of the primary "linux-rocks/winDoze-blows" arguments is about updates and installs. If I'm going to make reinstalling my standard approach to fixging things I might as well stay with XP.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Well, I understand your feelings about giving up and reinstall. But keep in mind that knoppix is
    somewhat mixed and thats can make things hard to upgrade or install.

    But then again. perl-doc is just docs, right?

    You did try to download the deb file
    and just do

    dpkg --install perl-doc.deb

    It seems not to try to resolve anything and I used this to install deborphan
    without install get-text even it was listed as required. It still worked.

    But its properly part of perlbase or something and not a single deb file but you might find it
    on the net.

    Well, good luck

Similar Threads

  1. * V3.2-2003-03-23 (small updates)
    By Tigren in forum News
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM
  2. Automatic Updates?
    By sdat1333 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 08:13 PM
  3. knoppix hdd install dies after reboot
    By flatpooks in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
  4. dies at syslinux + garbage
    By ducman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 01:49 AM
  5. monitor signal dies when xwindows starts
    By carpe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New picture

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New

$295.00



VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH. picture

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.

$197.00