Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: uninstalling knoppix

  1. #1

    uninstalling knoppix

    Now that I know something about Linux (thank you Knoppix), I'm ready to uninstall it and move on to some other distros. I've never done this before and would really like to temporarily make my WinXP partition the only bootable one on my computer. I'm using the default LILO boot loader that was installed with Knoppix and am afraid that if I just delete my linux partitions, then the boot loader won't allow me to boot into anything (I had that problem with RedHat and had to just reinstall Windows, which I really don't want to do right now). So how do I uninstall knoppix without messing up the boot loader?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    You can dual boot now? If so you could just select XP at boot for now and when you install another Linux, use LILO to boot to it.

    OR...

    Just use a 98 boot floppy and use it to

    C:\>fdsk /mbr

    Then reboot into your XP CD and go to the repair console by hitting F10.

    use the repair mbr option.

    You should have your original XP boot loader back.

    Then just go into XP disk manager after you've rebooted into XP and delete the partition Knoppix was on. Don't format it unless you want it to be a windows partition.

    Now you're ready to put something else on that partition.


    DISCLAIMER: If I've made any errors or omissions will someone please let us know.

Similar Threads

  1. Uninstalling Java from knoppix
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 06:01 AM
  2. Uninstalling software
    By astump in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 10:13 PM
  3. Uninstalling firewall
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 05:20 PM
  4. Uninstalling Knoppix
    By anman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 03:49 AM
  5. uninstalling stuff ?
    By bigjohn in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 10:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB picture

Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB

$285.00



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW) picture

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)

$999.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$89.99



Juniper Networks EX4400-24X picture

Juniper Networks EX4400-24X

$3250.00



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T picture

Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T

$249.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99