-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: create_compressed_fs; how long does it run on your machi

Originally Posted by
Steve F
This is the story of a guy with a clean house because create_compressed_fs takes so long to run for each test boot, he got bored and did house work instead of watching TV. His girlfriend now loves him and his mother is worried.
I am remastering KNOPPIX V3.6. My dev O.S. is the V3.6 HD install multiuser with HW autodetect. I have used two different computers: a Dell L400 laptop with 733mhz cpu, 256mb ram and 20gig ide HD in three partitions, and a Dell GX300 desktop with dual 733mhz cpu's, 512mb ram and two fast scsi drives in four partitions where the remaster is on a partition on the faster drive and the CD boot partition is on the other drive.
I don't seem to get any additional benefit from with the GX300 except when I run other tasks during a compress I don't get any mouse pointer delays or programs taking 30 seconds to startup like on the L400. The GX300 never uses both cpu's at the same time but switches between them sharing the load. I get the same behavior on MS w2k3 svr. The additional ram and fast scsi drives didn't help much. This seems to be limited by cpu speed. That, or the racing stripes I painted on the L400 really do make a difference in performance.
L400 w/o the -b option takes about 35 minutes to compress the full KNOPPIX distribution.
GX300 w/o the -b option takes about 35 minutes to compress the full KNOPPIX distribution.
GX300 with the -b option takes about 5 hours to compress the full KNOPPIX distribution.
A compression without the -b option resulted in an iso size of 763000832. With the -b option the size is 742182912 for a savings of only 21mb. Doesn't hardly seem worth it unless you are so close to fitting your remaster on your media of choice and need to get that size just a little bit smaller and you can't take away any more packages.
So, what's in YOUR computer?
Steve
The first time I tried remastering 3.4 it took 8-12 hours with the -b option & about 2 hours without the -b & ended up with an iso of 1.1 gig from an uncompressed size of 1.8 Gig. For several reasons I did a reinstall & redid the remastering, the next time the 1.8 gig system compressed to just under 700 Meg in about an hour. I have no idea why.
System is a 1.2G Hp pavilion.
I have also concluded the -b isn't really worth the bother unless you really need it.
Similar Threads
-
By vacode in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-27-2005, 03:16 PM
-
By DestroyerOfWorlds in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-22-2004, 04:26 PM
-
By mathis in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 09:29 AM
-
By Pibben in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-12-2004, 10:30 PM
-
By ralf in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$95.99

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$75.00