Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: User settings not transferring

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3

    User settings not transferring

    I am at my wits end here guys. I have a custom Knoppix, with all my user settings and changes in /home/knoppix. I move this directory to /etc/skel and chown -R root.root, then rm -rf /home/knoppix. Then roll the image and ISO. For the life of me, /etc/skel is NOT BEING COPIED OR MOVED TO /home/knoppix. I don't know what else to do.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    -- This post is from my memory and I could be very wrong about this --
    Check the script at /etc/X11/Xession.d/45*. You will find lines like
    Code:
    rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/{.somefilename,somedirectory,.anotherdirectory} $HOME
    It is the third (i could be wrong) rsync line which is used to populate the /home/knoppix directory. If your changes were saved in a file not listed in that {somefilename,somedirectoryt,anotherdirectory} then obviously it will no copy them. I solved this problem 2 ways. The first was to get a updated list of my /home/knoppix folder's contents and then format the listing appropriately
    Code:
    ls -1a /home/knoppix | tr '\n' ','
    and then I dropped it between the { } of the rsync script. This worked most of the time. A easier way is to remove the {somefilename,blah,blah,blah} and use
    Code:
    rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/ $HOME
    I hope this helps
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3
    UnderScore,

    Dude, I owe you a Guiness! Thanks and your memory was correct, it was exactly like that. I'm rerolling the image now. It'll take my about 20 minutes before I know if that worked.

Similar Threads

  1. Stalling when transferring large files to usb 2.0 drive
    By kjjaeger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM
  2. Newb Needs help transferring files via FTP
    By panzerjager88 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 01:35 PM
  3. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  4. Need help transferring my files
    By nechronics in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 12:29 AM
  5. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM picture

Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM

$129.00



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Lot Vintage SCSI Controller Cards Adaptec BusLogic BusTek AHA-1542 1520 ISA EISA picture

Lot Vintage SCSI Controller Cards Adaptec BusLogic BusTek AHA-1542 1520 ISA EISA

$179.95



Vintage Dell AT101W GYUM90SK 6780D ps/2 'Clicky' Mechanical Beige Keyboard picture

Vintage Dell AT101W GYUM90SK 6780D ps/2 'Clicky' Mechanical Beige Keyboard

$79.00



Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00