Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: User settings not transferring

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3

    User settings not transferring

    I am at my wits end here guys. I have a custom Knoppix, with all my user settings and changes in /home/knoppix. I move this directory to /etc/skel and chown -R root.root, then rm -rf /home/knoppix. Then roll the image and ISO. For the life of me, /etc/skel is NOT BEING COPIED OR MOVED TO /home/knoppix. I don't know what else to do.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    -- This post is from my memory and I could be very wrong about this --
    Check the script at /etc/X11/Xession.d/45*. You will find lines like
    Code:
    rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/{.somefilename,somedirectory,.anotherdirectory} $HOME
    It is the third (i could be wrong) rsync line which is used to populate the /home/knoppix directory. If your changes were saved in a file not listed in that {somefilename,somedirectoryt,anotherdirectory} then obviously it will no copy them. I solved this problem 2 ways. The first was to get a updated list of my /home/knoppix folder's contents and then format the listing appropriately
    Code:
    ls -1a /home/knoppix | tr '\n' ','
    and then I dropped it between the { } of the rsync script. This worked most of the time. A easier way is to remove the {somefilename,blah,blah,blah} and use
    Code:
    rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/ $HOME
    I hope this helps
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3
    UnderScore,

    Dude, I owe you a Guiness! Thanks and your memory was correct, it was exactly like that. I'm rerolling the image now. It'll take my about 20 minutes before I know if that worked.

Similar Threads

  1. Stalling when transferring large files to usb 2.0 drive
    By kjjaeger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM
  2. Newb Needs help transferring files via FTP
    By panzerjager88 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 01:35 PM
  3. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  4. Need help transferring my files
    By nechronics in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 12:29 AM
  5. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box picture

Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box

$100.00



Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim picture

Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim

$125.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage RARE 1980s Apple Computer Logo Frisbee. Great shape, w/ the usual nicks picture

Vintage RARE 1980s Apple Computer Logo Frisbee. Great shape, w/ the usual nicks

$220.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99