I don't think you would be able to share the persistant home. I've never used it though, so I guess you should back up your persistant home and try it.
I was wondering what your opinions are on Mandrake Move (I think that's it), which is also a live cd linux os like Knoppix (or any other other Mandrake version). If I were to run both, could I share my persistent home?
I don't think you would be able to share the persistant home. I've never used it though, so I guess you should back up your persistant home and try it.
Does anybody know if Mandrake Move can be hdd installed or use a similar install to poorman's install?
Mandrake Move is a nice Live CD, focused in the newbie user (aka windows user). The menus are very simplified, following the windows mode, so one user from this enviroment would feel safe.
There are two nice things:
- The name of the applications are very simplistic (overriding the specific name of each application)
- The word processor is called "word processor" (not kword or abiword or ...)
- The spreadsheet is called ... (try to guess.) yeah "spreadsheet"
- There is only one program for each task (some times variety is good, but for a novice user could be scary)
So, in my opinion is a nive live cd to introduct windows users to the world of Open Source and the Live Cd funcionality
AFAIK, the freely downloadable version of MandrakeMove does not have the capability of saving a "persistent home" or user data. It seems to have that code deleted from it. You apparently have to buy it from Mandrake to get that capability, whereas Knoppix has that capability built-in, for free.
(I couldn't even get the freely downloadable version of MandrakeMove to mount my USB key.)
Anyway, as mcaycedo says, MandrakeMove is aimed at Windows users, if that appeals to you. It has comprehensive on-line documentation that tells you how to use it from a Windows user's perspective. It doesn't seem to have as many applications installed as Knoppix, but it looks really nice and easy to use.
I am looking for a distro that I can bascially be a suppliment os for me, as for the other users of this computer, they want to use windows. I would like to be able to do video editing and photo editing (GIMP is great). It would also be nice to have a good gui, it doesn't have to be for a novice, like Mandrake sounds like. The last part would be either a dual boot where when the computer first boots it gives you a menu for a few seconds of which os you want to use and if no selection is made it goes to windows (for the less computer-inclined users of my computer). Or just have it like poor man's install where it starts with the disk in and then you take it out. Either way, free and downloadable versions would be great.MandrakeMove is aimed at Windows users, if that appeals to you.![]()
![]()
![]()
You might try doing a netinstall of debian. It uses GRUB which I have currently pointing to windows by defualt and giving 10 seconds to cahnge my mind.
Also it starts with Gnome and KDE, takes a little tinkering, but its easy enough. Its what I did after I had problems with installing/updating because knoppix is based on Cid.
Firebyrd10: Could you give me a link to a download and some documentation? Thanks.You might try doing a netinstall of debian.
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dist...mages/netboot/
Download and burn mini.iso
Its pretty straightforward after that.
Just make sure you have partitioned the drive before hand.

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99
9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50
X4TTX Dell PERC H730P SATA/SAS PCIe RAID Controller 0X4TTX
$42.00
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)
$359.00
1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH
$59.99